Upgrading Tomcat and AppWorks Gateway.

Options

I'm in the process of testing the upgrade of our TempoBox instance. I'm upgrading from 1.1.6 to 1.2.1 as well as upgrading to the latest TempoBox components.

With that upgrade I'm also upgrading the Java and Tomcat instances from 7 to 8. I have followed what was suggested which was to do a fresh install of tomcat and the Appworks Gateway but I have run into an issue.

after installing and configuring java and tomcat I went to the localhost/gateway to enter the settings for the database and OTDS partition. We already have an OTDS installation with an existing OTAG partition but when I tried to save the settings I got the error: "Error: Partition otag already exists. Please choose a new partition name."

Support told me that I can just delete the existing partition and resources but that would cause me to lose any existing external users that were created via TempoBox sharing.

So what is the proper way to upgrade the Appworks gateway along with a new instance of Tomcat and connect to an existing OTAG partition?

Leo

Comments

• Hi Leo,

The easiest way to upgrade Tomcat and preserve your AppWorks settings is to deploy AppWorks in the new Tomcat, and then copy the opentext.properties file from the old /conf folder into the new /conf folder. This should pick up all of your previous configurations.

Karen

• Thanks Karen, that is exactly what I figured out after reviewing what was stored in that file; was not sure if it would work but figured I'd try it out and it did work. I still had to reconfigure a couple of items but everything seems to have upgraded just fine including the re-installed app bundle for TempoBox.

I was waiting for a little confirmation that this was a proper way of doing this so thank you for that.

Can you shed some light on what the optional step in the documentation for upgrading the Appworks Gateway section 2.5 is for and when that would be necessary and why?

Also there are no instructions on how to do this and what to do with that configuration later.

Leo

• Hi Leo,

I spoke with the PM regarding the optional step. He said the only reason when one might want to perform this step would be to export the OTDS configuration report as a setup reference. So I believe you can safely ignore it.

Thanks,
    Karen