Appworks reverse proxy OTDS

I've just set up a reverse proxy for OTDS for external users for our LAN OTDS instance. So that's:

• add otdsws/* to the allowed path patterns
  • add otdsws=lan.server.name:8080/otdsws to the proxy mappings
  • then update the OTDS Url in the advanced settings to point to external facing server

Works a treat.

That is until I restart Tomcat. After that Appworks is broken. Internal Server Error is the error you get trying to log into the gateway. The stack traces in the Tomcat logs point to some low level forms behaviour causing problems.

Hunting around the database I can see that the otds.url row in the Setting table has the internal URL in the DEFAULTVALUE column and the external address in the SVALUE column. If i change the SVALUE column to match the DEFAULTVALUE column and restart Tomcat the server starts up and I can now access the system. Then I go back in and update the OTDS URL in the advanced settings and everything is fine with the reverse proxy until Tomcat is restarted.

Anybody used the reverse proxy to expose an internal OTDS with better results than this?

Comments

• SDay
    SDay E
    #2 Answer ✓

Hi Mark

In the past i have used the following with the proxy in AW 1.x to proxy to an external OTDS

Allowed Path Patterns

otdsws/*
    otds-v2/*
    ot-authws/*

Proxy Mappings
    otdsws=otds105.sjdec.local:8443/otdsws
    otds-v2=otds105.sjdec.local:8443/otds-v2
    ot-authws=otds105.sjdec.local:8443/ot-authws

Note: The above Proxy mappings are an example from my test system alter values to your system

I then set the OTDS url in the gateway Admin UI to be the gateway itself

Hope that helps

Simon

• Simon,

Wonderful. Will try those out and let you know. I was wondering if there were more paths required.

Edit: didn't seem to work for us, we'll get OT to give us an official list (this is appworks 1.2.2 with CS 10.5 and OTDS 10.5, which is pretty similar to yours, so may be environmental).

Mark