Hi All,If i have lost system for which i have Teamsite License key initiated.If i get another system configured with the same IP then it will be possible to use same license key or need to hv another license key?Nidhi A
No, as the license key is dependent on IP as well as your Network card address.
Hi Achin,Network Card Address is also configured as the previous one then?I think Network Card Address is also configurable.Please make me correct if i am wrong, i am new to these things.Nidhi A
Search for earlier machine.
MAC addresses of your Network Interface Card (NIC) is not configurable.It's a unique 48-bit serial number stored in ROM carried on the card
Nope. MACs are now configurable on many cards. If you right click on the ethernet card device, and select properties some have the ability to change it in the advanced tab.Others have software that allows you to change it. You can even search the registry with regedit and change it (if you can find it)
No it is not *really* MAC spoofing. This is a way for companies to replace hardware without requiring new licensing everywhere. When I open device manager and right click on my ethernet card, properties->advanced there is a selection that says Locally Administered Address, which is the last several bytes of the MAC address. Now if I have 10 servers with the same MAC address and one license then I am violating the TS license (and many others)
You are *probably* using EUI-48 or EUI-64 Cards, not MAC-48. Never paid too much attention to this networking witchcraft.
Btw, I do not think you can have functional (sub)net with non-unique MACs, not broadcast networks such as Ethernet anyway.
Probably, but I know theya re fairly common on servers where I have worked.I am certain you are correct there, I should have qualified on different networks.I certainly prefer the Unix way of doing this. If you upgrade a Solaris computer you can pull out a PROM/ROM that contains the HostID, all licenses are tied to that. Then you plug it into the new server and you are off to the races. With Sarbanes/Oxley companies are loathe to generate new licenses unless they really must to replace hardware. This allows them to be in compliance while lessening the chance of an audit.