Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
TS 5.0.x to 5.5.2 upgrade?
gsumers22texas
Has anybody used the Upgrade supplementary material to support an upgrade from TS 5.0.1 to 5.5.2? I've noticed from initial skims of the material, the devnet threads, and the support cases that 4.5.1 to 5.5.2 is the most discussed path that most clients are needing?
found any specific modifications / omissions from the overall environment, guides, checklists that relate specifically to a 5.0.1 to 5.5.2 upgrade? is the methodology still sound for this upgrade path?
if you're curious, primary reason we're contemplating upgrade is to try and implement just released (8/26/02) Front Office 5.5.2 for Solaris (so any related experience or gotchas in that area also appreciated)
thanks in advance for all replies
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
sajiddc
Hi,
I have not personally done a TS 5.0.x upgrade to TS. 5.5x upgrade but I have seen people doing the upgrade.
The upgrade info/manual from 4.5.1 to 55x should work when you are trying to upgrade from 5.0.x to 55x.
If you have access to the supoprt site, I suggest that you review the article#48600. The article covers 4.5.1/5.0.x to 5.5.1 upgrade. However, I have used the article in the past to upgrade to 552 as well.
Hope that helps.
Migrateduser
The process of upgrading from TeamSite 4.5.x and 5.0.x to TeamSite 5.5.2 is very similar. The Supplemental Upgrade Guide are intended for both. The main difference will primarily be in the post upgrade procedure where you verify/test your existing workflows, templates, deployments, etc. to make sure they are working fine in 5.5.2. The Upgrade Guide provides step by step process to guide the user through the entire TS 5.5.2 upgrade process.
gsumers22texas
is it an omission from the Upgrade Supplemental Package that the creation of Solaris user accounts and groups on the "destination server" isn't mentioned in the process? or am I missing something inherent in one of the steps (creation of these is NOT part of iwidmap, right?) We're inserting this step into the process immediately following (could also be before) the install of 5.5.2 products on the "destination" server- would you concur?
gsumers22texas
another question about 5.0.1 to 5.5.2 upgrade materials- is there any dependency upon using OpenDeploy from the source server in the overall process? What if OpenDeploy 5.0.1 was not used on the source server, but will be used on the destination server (5.5.2)-
do any (all?) of the delivered upgrade scripts use OpenDeploy as a transfer mechanism between Source and Destination servers?
thanks
Adam Stoller
OpenDeploy is not used at all for the TeamSite backing store conversion / upgrade process - so the version of OpenDeploy that you are using before/after the upgrade matters only in terms of making sure that all your scripts and configurations continue to work afterwards.
If you were using OpenDeploy 5.0.1 before the upgrade, and want to use OpenDeploy 5.5.1 [SP2] after the upgrade (I highly recommend OpenDeploy 5.5.1 SP2 over OpenDeploy 5.0.1) - there probably will not be any problems with the configuration files.
If you are upgrading OpenDeploy from 4.x to 5.x (again, I recommend 5.5.1 SP2 over 5.0.1) - then that is a distinct upgrade issue from the TeamSite server upgrade issue. I am positive that this material was covered in the Interwoven Education Upgrade Seminars and I'm sure it exists elsewhere too - but I think for such a broad subject you'd be better off contacting Interwoven Support or whomever has been doing your Interwoven consulting work (Interwoven or 3rd party) as you'd probably want to work out a plan for that upgrade.
If you really want to try to hash it out in the forums - I'd suggest starting a new thread - specifically regarding upgrading OpenDeploy (to more clearly distinguish it from this thread whicih has to do with upgrading TeamSite).
--fish
(Interwoven, Curriculum Development)
gsumers22texas
I think this answers my inquiry- were just curious as to relationship OD might have in the upgrading TS process- didn't see a mention of it in the upgrade material, so didn't think so- were assuming that the mounts set up between the servers handles the communication channel
thanks for info
Adam Stoller
That is correct - the mount points and UNC path information is used for the TeamSite upgrade process. Upgrading OpenDeploy to 5.x is a separate procedure.
--fish
(Interwoven, Curriculum Development)
stream drivers.zip
gsumers22texas
can somebody who has performed the upgrade to 5.5.2 on Solaris confirm when they created the local user accounts and groups on the destination server? we're planning on doing it immediately after the product installs, but just want to make sure there isn't a step in the upgrade process that does this (using the source server as a template) for you- it isn't mentioned explicitly in the upgrade documentation-
my original question:
is it an omission from the Upgrade Supplemental Package that the creation of Solaris user accounts and groups on the "destination server" isn't mentioned in the process? or am I missing something inherent in one of the steps (creation of these is NOT part of iwidmap, right?) We're inserting this step into the process immediately following (could also be before) the install of 5.5.2 products on the "destination" server- would you concur?
thanks
connectors.jpg
Migrateduser
We had our Solaris admin move our passwd, shadow, and group files over to our destination server. I do not think this occurs as part of the upgrade process. We specifically installed 5.5.2 on a different machine than our original TS installation, which I assume is what you're doing since you mention a destination server. Where we did have problems with users and groups was with the ID mapping that is new in the 5.5.2 backing store. It was new to us because we are upgrading from 4.2.1 - it may not be new to you. Anyway, there was a small amount of pain fixing the ID map after we loaded the backing store.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
gsumers22texas
thanks for info Dave-
when did you have the Solaris admin do this on the new server? before / after the product installs? we don't think it matters but would like to be sure, especially since the upgrad documentation skips over it- yes, we are using a new "destination" server to install 5.5.2 and then use the conversion process to convert our old 5.0.1 iw-store, though this may also be a little non-standard since we're currently writing our 5.0.1 iw-store to a SAN server
Migrateduser
I moved our passwd/group file entries over to the new 5.5.2 server right after the install of 5.5.2 and it's components. I figured we would want/need the same UID/GID setups on the server for the 4.5.1->5.5.2 backing store migration process. I didn't see anything in the docs that said you had to do this, but logically it makes heaps of sense
JackIntheBox
We are planning to upgrade to 5.5.2 soon and the one thing I am worried about is the backing store conversion. Luckily, we have a spare Solaris box and will be using that as our future production TeamSite installation. I would be grateful if someone can shed some light on these issues:
1) Approximately, how long will it take to migrate our 30GB backing store to be migrated from 'Source' to 'destination'
(over the corporate network)??
2) Approximately, how long will it take to convert the backing store on the 'destination' to the new 5.5.2 format??
Thanks!!
sajiddc
JIB, there are not set metrics as to how long the conversation might take. But I would say roughly about 40hrs. This is just a wild guess. Someone with more experience with conversion from IWOV might be able to give us a more accurate answer.
JackIntheBox
So, can anyone from Interwoven hazard a guess on this one
Migrateduser
I'm curious why you decided to give a SWAG answer when you really have no clue. That really doesn't help anyone.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
Migrateduser
Our conversion was slightly larger than 30Gb and only took overnight to complete - say 12-15 hours. Question #2 is not necessarily an issue because the conversion process performs all the necessary 5.5.2 conversions you need. Check out the set of docs supplied for upgrading - the docs are very good at explaining everything.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
sajiddc
Mr. Smith,
Unfortunately, I am not as smart as you are. I wish I was. I was just trying to help in anyway I could. I obiviously did not know that I will raise curiousity.
Thank you for your time and bringing it to my attention. ooh another thing, just in case if you have not noticed yet. You could have easily sent me a private message and bring it to my attention rather than posting in the forum. I am not sure what you are trying to prove. F.Y.I: Atleast I know that you are the smartest of all with very good PR skills.
Also are you just posting to my reply just to increase the number of posts?
P.S: I know that I could have replied to you with a PM but .....
baplin
I recently did a Proof of Concept to test out the conversion process and to get an idea of the time that it would take. For about 2.5 gb of data, it took approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes. I was surprised at how quick and easy the process was. The conversion was from a quad box to a 2 processor box and was over a gb connection and the TeamSite structure was relatively simple - e.g., not many editions, revisions etc.
I hope this helps. Feel free to email me if you have any questions about the process.
Migrateduser
I apologize if I hurt your feelings. I merely was trying to convey that there are plenty of posters who are able to answer people's questions with valid information, or at least an educated guess. Posting wild guesses is not really going to help anyone. There are many novice users out there who might depend on the answers people give in these forums - it's probably a good thing not to mislead people with wild guesses. Just a suggestion - you can, of course, do as you please. Again, sorry if I offended you.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com