Samba to provide local file access. If you use different workareas per person, then *carefully* write the WF to use the updatetask to avoid requiring get latest.
...Maybe I’m looking at this all wrong and TeamSite shouldn't be used to manage HTML files, but rather be a step in the publishing process? Meaning sites get stored locally or on a network drive. When ready to deploy to test or prod, the modified files get FTP’d into a workarea, submitted for versioning, and then deployed. The submit and deploy could be wrapped in a workflow or script called from the menu. The files in the workarea would still need the permissions corrected but this could be done with submit.cfg....
The updatetask runs as part of the workflow and will be used to automatically propagate changes from Staging to various workareas when a submit happens. So it is part of the original WF and keeps the workareas up to date with Staging automatically.
What I think you're looking at wrong here is trying to use TeamSite to manage HTML files created outside of TeamSite. That's what FormsPublisher is for - you provide forms for users to insert content into and then use PTs to process the DCRs that were created to produce HTML.You seem to be trying to use TeamSite (a CMS system) as if it were just a version management system (like CVS, PVCS, etc.) - in which case you're using a sledgehammer to turn a screw.I'd suggest learning more about the functionality that TeamSite provides so you can understand how it can (and should) be used.
Problem is it doesn’t provide an intuitive interface for interacting with files, which is why over the past 6 years we have only implemented templated sites.
That certainly is your opinion. I happen to disagree. I have implemented TS in a number of non-templated sites and used it as a SCM system, without any trouble. Your developers may not like the GUI, fine. But the functionality is there without using FTP. You can go ahead and use a network share, CVS, or whatever you want. You still have not explained why you think TS is lacking in functionality for this application. The only place there I have seen issues is the branch promotion model that is popular, moving data transparently (and accurately) from a dev branch to integration to production certainly can be done but is not trivial.
Using LP is a step back and counterproductive to Web developers.How would developers manage links for sites in TS? How would they do global search and replace? For instance, for just one file that’s moved, renamed or deleted the entire site (all 70 dir and 5,000 html files) would need downloaded (which would take 10 mins ) and then found under the branch tree where the site gets stored locally (I actually doubt it would get this far because LP comes to a crawl at about 2,000 files). Then move the file with automatic link management enabled, save the updated files, go back to LP sort by Modified (this will take 20 mins because LP also has files for the other 20 sites I maintain), select the files and FINALLY upload!!!I think it’s safe to say that initiating edits from TS with LP as the interface is not a natural flow for Web development.Do you guys running windows have any permission issues when FTP’ing files?