Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Suggestions for Replacing FTP
RickG
I am a new TeamSite user/developer and would appreciate suggestions for replacing a pre-TeamSite process. Pre-TeamSite, we have an automated process that creates HTML pages and then FTP's the new files to our web site. I am trying to replace this process without having to make it manual. I would like to still have an automated process that creates the content, moves the new content to a TeamSite workarea, and initiate a workflow to get the content versioned, approved, and deployed. We have a workflow that can be manually started to approve and deploy, but I do not know how to get the content to the workarea and start the workflow.
We are running TeamSite 6.5 on a Windows 2003 server.
Thanks for suggesting approaches or pointing me to samples that may exist somewhere.
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
nipper
Have you looked at OpenDeploy or EasyDeploy ? That is the typical method of releasing content out of TeamSite, though certainly not the only one.
It is integrated as a step within workflow, so it will fit the bill quite nicely.
EasyDeploy is a limited version of OpenDeploy (works great for 1 sender 1 receiver)
RickG
Sorry I wasn't clear. I am trying to get the content into TeamSite. We use OpenDeploy for moving the TS content to our web servers. It is the automation of moving content into the workarea that stumps me.
Thanks for your reply.
nipper
You can use OpenDeploy as well. But I suspect the real limitation is how much access to the source of the data do you have ? Can you install an application on the source ?
RickG
The data is created on a Windows XP Pro workstation in Windows domain abc. Applications can be installed on the workstation as needed. The TeamSite server in Windows domain xyz. This server is shared by several organizations. Access to this server is limited so I cannot map a drive to the TS server.
nipper
If this were my problem, my first approach would be to install Perl (or some other scripting language) on the XP system, use that to copy files to the remote TS server (instead of mapping the XP drives to TS, access the TS drivers from the XP server)
RickG
Would these same TS Drivers be able to initiate a TS workflow to start the approval and deployment?
Where would I find some documentation on using these drives?
Thank you for you suggestions.
nipper
It is just a remote drive:
\\tsserver.mydomain.com\default
That will copy the files over (you will need to confirm login access to write to the folder)
Then for the submit you have a couple choices, set up a cgi (say a perl script in httpd/iw-bin/submit_remote.ipl) that will kick off the workflow (have the copy script hit this URL after the copy is complete - you can add the list of files if it is small), easier to copy a file list somewhere & have this script read the file list.
Another option would be as a TS trigger, once a file is changed, kick off the workflow. That is not as good as it will submit one file at a time (and you need to be certain the copy has completed).
RickG
Thanks so much for your suggestions. I will look into this in more detail.