I have a no of sites which follows the same look and feel standards as set by the parent company. I have each of these sites on a separate branch. Now for eg, if tomorrow the company decides that from now onwards we will use a diff image for arrow.gif(just an example).In that case, i need to update the image in all the images folders in different branches.Can something like this be possible where I can keep the images folder in a centrallised location and whenever I make any changes to it, I can simply push out the changes to all the branches?Please recommend the best approach you can think of.Regards,Mav
Mav, you can actually use a different branch all together for your images and then move them...
With the "Dedicated Shared Assets Branch" approach it is often (not always!) possible to configure TS Proxy Serverso that it maps requests to this Branch STAGING for example. In this case you do not even have to Copy/Deploy anythinganywhere (not for Preview, anyway. You will still need regular Deployments/WFs to promote assets to proper Targetslike QA, UAT, Production and whatnot)
Hi Bo, I am running into a similar scenario. Can you please share how to proxy things to another branch itself?
It becomes really simple after few trials and errors.Check TeamSite® Administration Guide, Chapter Configuring the TeamSite Web Daemon and Proxy Server for details.To give you an example, something like the following tells Proxy to redirect any request for *.gif or *.jpg to the STAGINGarea of "Shared_Assets_Branch" Branch[iwproxy_preconnect_remap]_regex=(^/iw-mount/[^/]+/main/(.*)/(((WORKAREA|EDITION)/[^/]+)|STAGING)/(.*(\.gif|\.jpg)))$=/iw-mount/Shared_Assets_Branch/STAGING/$6
If you have the iw.cfg on the project you took over for me, check it out as that was done often. As was the cross branch browser.
We keep all of our baseline assets (images, css, scripts, includes, etc.) in a seperate directory while each sub branch holds branch specific data. This approach has really helped the team become more efficient, particularly when dealing with client requests.Moon, You can configure your proxy (iw.cfg, preconnect remaps) so that all of these common elements are redirected accordingly during preview. For lack of a better example, this is simply a regex that would point all */assets/* links of your sub-branches to your baseline branch.As for workflows, well... they'd have to be configured to ensure these assets are published to the appropriate target(s).
Then how Do I reach for an asset in another branch from another branch say using a browse button?Regards,Mav
Just to be more clear - Say in Branch 1, if I am trying to preview file1, the preview is taking me to the branch as per the preconnect remap.However, if I try to preview file2 in Branch 1 wherein file2 just includes file1 as a section, the preview now looks for file1 in Branch 1 only and does not get remapped to Branch configured in preconnect remap...?
Don't be offended if I mention that your definition of "more clear" and mine are slightly different. It sounds like you are using server side includes here. That is very common for navigation menu, header, footer, etc. Those have yet another change you need to be able to virtualize them. Have you loaded the TS SSI module into IIS ?
Hi Andy,Thanks for your response. Yes, you got it right. That is my issue. I am not templatising the ascx pages so we would be good there for now however I will go through your tech note for some more light on the topic.Bo, All, Do you have any other suggestions for the issue?