Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Quick Search + Web Site is s-l-o-w-.-.-.
System
We are using Mbin 4.5.3 with Quick Search enabled on PhotoShop Title, PhotoShop Caption, and asset name.
We have a dedicated web server, dedicated sql server, and dedicated application server.
We consume a good deal of images anywhere between 3,000-5,000 images in a single day. Our asset count exceeds 750,000 assets.
When a user searches for content, let's say "John McCain" we return around 2,000+ assets. However, the web site can't handle it and spins for a long time. What can I do to speed up the processs or cache the images as thumbnails or something?
Thanks!
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
msrinivas
I hope that you have DB indexing set up. If not please contact support and they will be able to provide a script.
For such few fields the quick search should not be that slow. Can you also make sure that your search results are paginated to a lower number like 20 or something instead of trying to show all search results on the same page at once?
Do you see the same performance in the windows client for the same search?
Migrateduser
Hi Srivinas,
Yes, for the heck of it, I rebuilt all SQL indexes this morning. Yes, I recommend to all our users and I myself have my pagination view to see only 10 images at any given instant.
No, the speed in the Windows Client is super fast in comparison to the web server. Is there some tricks I should know about to speed up the web server caching or thumbnails or something?
Thanks.
Migrateduser
My apologies, I mispelled your name Srinivas.
msrinivas
You were at least close. I have seen worse ones
Unless your server admins tweaked the default IIS settings I don't think there will be much there.
How many concurrent users do you have on the system using the web client and is this W2K3 (+-SP whatever) and IIS 6.0?
And wrong q may be
IE or Firefox?
Migrateduser
Our environment is W2K3 SP2, IIS6. Only users from 5-25 concurrently at any given instant.
There are other web sites that have nothing to do with MediaBin on this same server which run rocket fast getting data from SQL Server. So, I know it has something specifically to do with the MediaBin connection with the application server and it's not a general slow web server.
Users commonly use IE and a couple FireFox here and there. I have tested it in both Firefox and IE which in both cases are slow at times.
lyman
If you turn on the Net.log it will give the response times for each request. A search is called "FindRequest". If the times seem to be reasonable we can at least factor the server and database out of the equation. This would especially be true if you can run the exact same search on the web and native clients and get the same result.
Does response get faster if you use an admin account? Since search results need to be filtered for security it might be possible taht your security cache size would need to be increased.
Cheers,
Lyman Hurd
Migrateduser
Hi Lyman,
THat's correct, the Application and SQL servers are both fast. However, the web site is slow. If I query in the Windows Client, the results return fairly quickly in a couple seconds and because it's multithreaded, the images start to appear.
In the Web Client on the other hand, the service spins for a long time, 30 seconds and even for someone users minutes and eventually will timeout.
Running as an adminitrative account (someone in the MBPAdmins or Administrators) does not help the speed. There is something going on between web server and applications server.
Stacy
lyman
We have been seeing problems related toa recent patch to IIS. If you provide a dump of the Event Logs to support we can try to see if the symptoms fit that bill.
Cheers,
Lyman Hurd
Migrateduser
Hi Lyman,
What logs would you like? w3svc.log ?
lyman
Sorry for late response (been out of town). I believe that we have been diagnosing the problem based on the system and application logs exported from the Windows Event Viewer. As you know the IIS server is not my particular bailiwick but I can make sure it gets to wiser people.
Cheers,
Lyman Hurd