We are migrating from TS 5.5.2 SP6 to TS 6.5 SP2 on solaris.We have a requirement where we need to preserve jobs during this migration because we have several hundred workflow jobs created each day and half of them have a lifecycle of atleast 1- 2 weeks. I see that there's a CLT "iwwfconvert" which is used to move jobs from one backing store to another. The KB article on support site mentions this can be used for converting active workflows during the conversion process either from TS 4.5.x/ TS 5.0.x to TS 5.5.2 or from TS 5.0.2 SP1 to TS 6.1 but does not mention my scenario here, but I do find that this CLT exists even in TS 6.5. Does anyone know whether this CLT converts 5.5.2 jobs to 6.5? TIA
Are you upgrading an existing server or installing 6.5SP2 on a new server?(Why 6.5SP2 instead of 6.7.1SP1+Patch3 ?)If you're upgrading an existing server - the workflows may remain active - but there's going to be an obvious disruption in service while you do the upgrade - and then you'll want to verify that all your customizations work, etc. If you have a DEV server - I'd strongly advise doing all this there first.If you're installing a new server - I think your "requirement" will fall short of being able to be accomplished. Better is to plan for the eventual cut-over to the new server - declare a moratorium on starting new jobs and have everyone either complete or make careful notes about what jobs are currently active with what files and then re-create them on the new server.I'm not saying that what you want is not possible - I've never had to do it (always planned for cut-over transition) - but I think it would be more realistic to assume it won't work and then, possibly, be pleasantly surprised if it does (again, it depends a lot on whether this is an upgrade of an existing server or a transition to a new server)
Thanks for your reply. Yes, we are doing the upgrade on another server which is a fully functional TS 6.5 SP2 environment. The existing application on this environment does not use any workflows, so I thought it whould be possible to migrate the workflow jobs also. The current 5.5.2 environment is heavily used and business critical. The jobs typically deploy content from TeamSite to dev and pre-prod environments and ends when it reaches production with options of auomated back outs from each environment. That's the reason most jobs live long and we want to do the migration with minimum inconvenience to all. Are there any known technical issues in moving the jobs from 5.5.2 to 6.5 on a different server?
I suggest you contact Support - although 5.5.2 is no longer supported, the fact that you are attempting to upgrade to a supported version of the product should help to obviate that knee-jerk response.If you end up finding a solution (either "it can't be done" or "it can be done and here's how") please post that information here.