Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Performance Issue
Pavan
Hi,
My TS 5.5.2 Server running on Win 2000 Server is running very slow. It takes a lot of time when I click on preview button.
I saw one attribute called 'rpc_threadcount=64' in iw.cfg and the documentation says that its value should be equivalent to the number of CPUs.
By default, the value of this attribute is 64, so I am not sure whether the value of this attribute should be equal to number of CPUs or its something else.
Because, normally if Interwoven has decided to keep 64 as the default value, then that means they assume that all the people will be running TeamSite on a server with 64 CPUs, which is highly unlikely. BTW, I have two CPUs on my server. So, can anyone please tell whether this value should be # of CPUs or some other value based on some other criterias.
I tried to increase the CacheSize in [iwserver] section from 30000 to 500000, but still it didn't help much in performance.
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Migrateduser
Pavan;
The biggest contributors to poor performance on Windows are low memory, low disk space, poor disk geometry, bad network configuration, and low CPU resources. That's where I'd focus first.
The rpc_threadcount parameter you mention is not associated with number of CPUs. See p. 152 of the TS 5.5.2 Win Admin guide. The default of 54 should not be changed.
You're thinking of the fs_threadcount, which defaults to 2 and should be set to 1 more than the number of CPUs. You can safely set it to 3 in your case, but I'd be suprised if it made much difference.
If you follow the server performance guidelines that start on p 151 of the admin guide, you'll eliminate the config as a performance issue. But my bet will be either memory, or disk, or both.
How many concurrent users are you supporting? Are your hardware specs in line with the recommendations on p 25 - 26?
Is your server doing anything besides TS? In particular, a PDC server is a bad choice for a TS server, but in practice *no* other application services should be running on the TS server, such as DBMSes, mail, etc. Anything on that box should be just for TS.
bw
Bob Walden [bob.walden@interwoven.com]
Interwoven Education Group
IM: Yahoo, MSN bob_walden
Migrateduser
You may also want to try and see if it is a server or GUI issue. What is the performance like if you run 'iwgen' from a shell? If it is fast, you might look into network issues. If you are running a proxy for you network and are local, are you bypassing the proxy for TeamSite?
John Narbaitz
john.narbaitz@interwoven.com
Senior Sales Engineer
Interwoven
elke
Hi, I have exactly the same issue with a brand new solaris box.
TS 5.5.2 is extremely slow for the user if used with any version of Internet Explorer, but the performance is very good when the client uses Netscape (even 4.7!!!)
We tried to eliminate the issue and had a look at hardware configurations, no problems, the server is not the problem.
We have logged a case with Interwoven, the problem is holding us up with migrating from 4.5 to 5.5.2 .
Any clue would be really appreciated...
Migrateduser
I don't think it has anything to do with TeamSite - I doubt it is doing anything significantly different for one browser vs. another. I have found that the new window operation (which is used a few times when you preview) can take almost 10 seconds in certain IE configurations. I haven't found out what the configuration problem is, and on the same machine it can take less time once and more time another. You may just notice this in TeamSite because most applications don't open as many windows as Templating likes to use. There is a setting in iw.cfg that can reduce the number of Windows it opens, but it has little effect (I think only when they re-preview something that they have already previewed and left the window open).
Of course I don't think that wouldn't explain a 4.5/5.5 difference.
elke
exactly. we are working on this for a week now, but honestly, I can't give my users a system that is that slow!!!
and installing Netscape is not an option either.
so what did you do??? just releasing a system to clients that is new but SLOW???
Migrateduser
I think that's about the only thing you can do.
Migrateduser
We are moving to 5.5 too, and I did notice the same problem during the past two days. Surprisingly it was Netscape 4.7 which was the fastest followed by Netscape 7.0 and IE 5.5. But our users will almost exclusively be using IE and it isn't that bad on IE 5.5. (And I didn't time any of those, just my observations). However, using Netscape can be buggy with Templating, especially FormAPI.
iwovGraduate
What SP/Patches have you applied ?
Atleast one patch for TS/TST 5.5.2 addresses issues with CGI performance.
Not sure if that soloves your problem, but its worth try..
code
In our case, it's seems to be the browser configuration, too. Normally, we use IE 5.5 and 6. Some of the clients are very fast, others have bad response times especially for popup windows.
Has anybody seen configuration recommendations for IE on the IW pages. I know, this might be complex but I would like to try it at least.
Cheers
swissben
Has this browser issue been solved? We are experiencing problems with IE 6 and 5.5 (too slow) while Netscape performs in a third of the time.