All my DCTs are stubs that have an inline statement to a script that builds the DCT on the fly. That is by far the best approach. Same with TPLsAndy
The method I'm using actually queries an excel spreadsheet for DCT definitions, so all of the DCTs are the same, and the .tpl just points to an appropriate perl module for processing depending on category and data-type, but what it sounds like is the datacapture.cfg and .tpl for each DCT have to be in each workarea. Correct?My biggest grief is that when I create a new template, the exact same datacapture.cfg and .tpl needs to copied to nearly 180 workareas. I have a relatively painless method of doing so, but it would be nice to have a central location for the datacapture.cfg and .tpl files instead of having so many copies floating around.
IMHO, having one workarea for each user(not sure if thats how you have it) is an over-engineered concept.
There isn't a workarea for each user. Our live web site has over 30,000 pages, representing global and regional content. To keep our users from getting confused, the branch structure follows the region/country/language/business sector of the content they are assigned to work on. We previously had 1 large workarea, and we had problems with people messing with content they shouldn't be (whether intentional or not), not being able to easily find their own content and slow server performance from everything being listed at once for each user.
.....select required="t"> inline command="Datasource:executeComponent:myDatasource"/>/select>.....
It fails in Master branch or secondary branch or both?
Nope.No errors in the logs.-When I open the DCT in branch1 the datasource returns data.-When I open the DCT in branch2 (this one is reading the DCT from branch1 with an inline command) the datasource returns null as if it isnt fired at all.
Are you saying that you have a DCT in branch2 that uses an inline script to read a DCT in branch1 that has an inline script to run a datasource?If so - no wonder. Inline script processing is not recursive. This has been posted about before and if you want to understand more about it, I suggest you search for and read those posts.If that isn't what you are doing - then please try again to explain clearly how you have things set up.