Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Pound sign in DCR
Engram
Why will a pound sign not save properly into a DCR? All my pound signs are being saved with a circumflex A in front of them...
eg: £
Edited by Engram on 10/07/02 07:33 AM (server time).
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
james1
When you edit the DCR, what does the data capture form GUI show you? Just the pound sign, I hope.
When you generate a file from that DCR using a presentation template, what does your generated page look like? Just the pound sign, I hope.
The DCR is saved in UTF-8 encoding. The UTF-8 encoding uses two bytes to represent the pound sign. Whatever program you are using to inspect the DCR file is probably interpreting the file in ASCII or ISO-8859-1 encoding.
Trust that your strings are saved as they are entered. Any XML parser, including the ones used by Templating, should read those two bytes as the pound character, since UTF-8 is the default encoding for XML.
Hope this helps.
-- James
Engram
Thanks for the reply James.
In the GUI I do only see a pound sign however in the content of the DCR (the raw XML) it is stored as as circumflex A followed by the £ symbol.
This would be fine if it removed the circumflex A when I generated a page, but it doesn't. It writes the A and the £ symbol onto the page!!
I have had to resort to using & p o u n d ; in my DCR's.
james1
> This would be fine if it removed the circumflex A when I
> generated a page, but it doesn't. It writes the A and the £
> symbol onto the page!!
This is probably because the PT compiler is writing out UTF-8 strings, and your web browser is probably interpreting the page as ISO-8859-1 instead.
Two possible solutions:
(1) Get your browser to recognize the page as UTF-8. This can be done with a <META> tag.
(2) Get the PT compiler to output the HTML page in ISO-8859-1. I believe that this can be done with the file_encoding.cfg config file. Or, if you use iwpt_compile.ipl directly (instead of using iwgen/iwregen and the Generate button in the UI), then there is a command-line argument you can use to specify the output encoding.
There may be other ways to solve this problem. Unfortunately, I am not an internationalization/PT expert. Perhaps someone else here is and can propose further solutions?
Hope this helps.
-- James
--
James H Koh
Interwoven Engineering