Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Workarea permissions
fbuno
Users trying to edit files in any workarea get the error message: "Teamsite File Edit: you dot not have permission to modify file in this workarea" even if they have permission.
This happens when i reboot the server. I am on WIN2K, TS 5.5.2.
Additionally, a user with a master ID does not get this error.
Any ideas?
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
akshathp
Couple of questions for your question:
1. Did you mean to say that whenever you reboot the TeamSite server, this issue crops up?
2. Are those users some specific set of users or all users?
3. Are they sharing Workareas?
4. Do they share the group on NT box?
Not that answers to these questions will give solution but atleast it will help me and others to better understand the situation.
Thank you.
Regards,
Akshat Pramod Sharma
Interwoven Inc.
Aboo
User is not the part of group
Documentum_6_1_.5_SP1_System_Upgrade_and_Migration_Guide.pdf
Aboo
Please check the group and owner of the file and make sure that user is a member of the group.
Regards
Aboobacker - MphasiS
fbuno
>>>>Did you mean to say that whenever you reboot the TeamSite server, this issue crops up?
Not all the time, but it has already happened 3 times
>>>>> Are those users some specific set of users or all users?
All users, apart from masters
>>>>> Are they sharing Workareas?
Yes
>>>>>> Do they share the group on NT box?
Yes
mcube
I think you are using TeamSite on Win2k and sharing workareas with domain group.
If I am correct, then you have to grant "READ GROUP MEMBERSHIP" permission to the users who are using TeamSite" OR use local groups instead of DOMAIN group.
You can create Local group (which can have domain users) on the teamsite server. Please note you have to recreate all the local groups if you move your teamsite from one server to another . (I know this is pain)
If you don't want to use local groups then please see below how to grant "READ GROUP MEMBERSHIP"
1. You need Domain Admin access to grant "READ GROUP MEMBERSHIP"
2. logon to TeamSite server.(with domain admin privleges)
3. Open Active Directory for Users & Computers (under your Administrator Tools)
4. Click on Advanced Features (under View menu)
5. Select the user (from user folder which is on your left frame)
6. Right click on user name and select properties
7. then click on Security tab
8. check mark the "read group membership"
you have to do for all the user who wants to use teamsite with shared workareas.
OR you can create ACL which will grant "read group membership" permission to "EVERYONE"
Also refer Active Directory documentation for how to delegate control
Thanks
-Mahesh Menghani
mahesh.menghani@csfb.com
Bryan_K
fbuno,
We have also had this problem, also on a WIn2K running TS 5.5.2. Users who were editors and were in the AD global group could not edit files all of the sudden after a server reboot. Masters could edit files fine. Users in the exact same global group on a different server COULD edit files with no problems. After awhile the problem went away. We were speculating that it may be taking a long time on TS startup to confirm the members of the AD group, but werent able to verify this.
Just FYI... Id be interested to hear if anyone else is having this problem.
fbuno
Brian K, that's exactly what happened to us as well. after a while everything is back to normal. I hope Interwoven comes up with a fix
Gregg Faus
I'm also experiencing this problem. The master user can edit files just fine, just editor and authors cannot edit files within the workarea. It hasn't happened to me for about 5 weeks, but all of sudden started yesterday and I'm still getting it. With no tests I can run against the TeamSite server I'm kinda dead in the water. I'm hoping it will all of sudden just start working like it did in the past.
Gregg Faus
Workarea's are now editable. Really weird here. All I did was add "netmonitor=no" to the iw.cfg and run a "reset -a" it is worked. I'm really stumped. I just read this article:
https://support.interwoven.com/kb/kb_show_article2.asp?ArticleID=49028
and applied the "netmonitor" setting.
Anyone know what "netmonitor" actually does? I don't see it documented in the TS 5.5.2 Admin manual.
-gf
fbuno
That is what i did as well. I think it is a known bug and IWOV will fix it with the next Service pack release
Gregg Faus
That is good to know. Is there an official known bug report list or something I can show my project managers? They seem to want an answer. Right now all I can say is... "Not sure, it just started working all of a sudden".
- gf
filefilter.txt
fbuno
not sure. you might want to ask IWOV about that. Or wait until SP2 release notes are out.
Migrateduser
We are also having this problem with 5.5.2 on W2k AS. The only way to solve it is through magic... Sometimes a reboot fixes it, sometimes an iwreset -a, or iwreset -ui.... But not always. Sometimes, you just have to wait until it's ready to work. Should we make all of our users Masters? Is that a good solution? I don't think so.
Gregg Faus
Yeah, promoting every to a master would be bad. Maybe Interwoven could benefit from the additional licensing revenue
Seriously, this is a major problem. It not so bad that it happens, but not being able to fix it and come up with a justified answer why it all of a sudden is now working is just not right.
Bryan_K
2 things:
1. When I asked IWOV this problem they had originally told me that it was on the bug list, and that's how they knew that adding netmoniitor=no would fix the problem. When I asked where the bug list was, they said it was only available to internal employees. While I can understand their reasoning for this, it does seem a little disheartening that there may be a known bug we are troubleshooting, yet we wont know because we cant see the bug list.
2. We were told that adding netmonitor=no to the iw.cfg would change the process that populates groups with user information BACK to a single threaded process. Apparently in 5.5 (or at least 5.5.2, which we are running), IWOV had changed this process from single threaded to multi threaded to allow it to run faster. Except I believe that on multi-processor machines, there was an error with the process being multi-threaded, so netmonitor=no reverts to the old process.
Bryan
Gregg Faus
Ah, that clears things up. We are running in the exact same scenario where we have a dual processor machine.
Thanks for the info!
Gregg Faus
Does this fix (applying netmonitor=no) apply only to the latest service pack (5.5.2 L)? We had the same editing problems intermittently today even though I've put this config setting in.
Migrateduser
Interwoven told us the same thing... It didn't work. I bet that if you give it time, yours will fail again too. We've seen this same issue on 2 of our servers.
Migrateduser
Interested in knowing people's configurations that are having this issue. Ours is TeamSite 5.5.2 on Win2k AS. We don't have any service packs installed. We didn't see this issue until we installed SP1, then uninstalled SP1. Anyone else with a similar experience? We've filed a case with Interwoven on this issue.
Migrateduser
The bug is fixed in 5.5.2 SP2.
Make sure that domains are defined in iw.cfg:
[iwcgi]
domain_list=TS_SERVER,TS_DOMAIN
[iwserver]
domain_list=TS_SERVER,TS_DOMAIN
Gregg Faus
My config is:
TS 5.5.2 (w/ no SPs)
Win2k (SP2)
I will be filing a support case on Monday. Our clients' are VERY **** and I can do tell them it is a product issue. I've had to resort to a Master user with no file permissions for now. I didn't want to do that!
- gf
Bryan_K
We are also running 5.5.2 with no SPs. We had the error occur randomly (sometimes yes, sometimes no) without the netmonitor=no line in iw.cfg. Since putting the line in (over 3 weeks ago) we have not had a problem. We reboot our box every night so it has rebooted over 20 times now and we have not seen the problem come back.
We also heard that this would be fixed in SP2.
felipel
I'm posting to this to keep this thread alive and kicking, because this issue is killing us. We currently run TS 5.0.2 on Win2k, in a clustered (2 machine) 4-CPU environment. We have 2 separate Teamsite installations and both of them suffer from the problems described in this post.
We probably see this issue pop up about once or twice a week, and were hoping that upgrading to 5.5.2 (which is happening in a couple of weeks) would solve the problem. But, judging from the posts here, that's a false hope.
I agree with gfaus that this is a major problem -- when it happens, we suddenly have 200 users who can no longer edit our web sites. Not good, and extremely frustrating for the users. And the only support answer is "Umm...wait awhile and it will start working again. We don't really know why it happens." Makes our support team look like idiots.
We have had an open case on this for months with no resolution. We've provided all kinds of documentation on the problem and spent hours attempting to troubleshoot. We've had the IW CIO on-site. No answer. Please, please, please IW -- either fix this or let us know exactly what the problem is.
Bryan_K
Felipel - have you tried any of the solutions offered in this post? I know we have had success with the netmonitor=no configuration, and I believe others in this forum have had similar successes.
Bryan