Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Deleting Editions
cfrye
We have a requirement to restrict Administrators from deleting editions. We have Teamsite 5.5.2 in a Solaris environment. We have tried removing the execute permission while preserving read access on the branch, however, this renders the branch N/A to the Admin. I assume this is a feasible restriction, as this editors are restricted from deleting editions, although it does not appear to be a function of the branch permissions. Is this a menu item? Any ideas?
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Migrateduser
There are 2 tools that can delete editions: the iwrmed CLT in iw-home/bin and the TeamSite GUI menu item. The CLT is only usable via telnet access, so hopefully won't be an issue. If inappropriate users have telnet access to the server, the CLT can be moved to a restricted directory, but be advised this might interfere with some workflows or other customized scripts--test carefully. The menu option can be restricted via the [ui_remove_menu_items] section of iw.cfg--read the admin guide for details of the latter.
bw
Bob Walden [bob.walden@interwoven.com]
Interwoven Education Group
IM: Yahoo, MSN bob_walden
cfrye
I am aware of the methods you mentioned which delete editions, however, I am trying to restrict Administrators from having access to this functionality through the GUI. We investigated removing this menu item, but, this not only removes the delete menu item when viewing editions, but when viewing workareas, directories, files, etc. As I said before, this should be possible, as editors have this restriction. If you log in as an editor, the delete menu item is not available when viewing editions. I would like to have this same behavior for Administrators as well.
Migrateduser
Right, sorry, I didn't read closely enough.
I do not know how to remove the delete item for only certain objects. I suspect it's beyond a site configuration.
An alternate approach is to make these people editors instead, and then to create workflows or custom menu items that let them do the administrative tasks you _do_ want them to do.
bw
Bob Walden [bob.walden@interwoven.com]
Interwoven Education Group
IM: Yahoo, MSN bob_walden
Adam Stoller
Actually, if you go the custom menu item route - you could mask out the built-in "Delete" option for Administrators (thus not requiring demoting them to Editors) and add your own such option (also called "Delete") that first checked the type of object(s) selected in the GUI before issuing the actual CLT command to perform the action.
The one side-effect of this (other than the fact that you would have to code the logic into your own CGI script) is that the custom "Delete" menu item will appear near the bottom of the menu list and not in the same location as the masked out, built-in, "Delete" option.
--fish
(Interwoven, Curriculum Development)