Hello.
A month ago I attached a query
to the end of this thread, asking about how to create a custom command that returns multiple selections. The instructions specified in the Custom Commands documentation don't seem to work for me, and I'm curious if there's a bug or if I'm just doing something wrong. There haven't been any responses to my original query, so I thought I'd post again in case my query was missed as a consequence of being connected to a completed discussion. Anyway:
I've created a custom command for Custom3 that pops up my own custom dialog. It works perfectly with the New Profile and Edit Profile dialogs -- the string that it leaves in the "IManExt.SelectedString" Context Item gets inserted into the dialog's Custom3 field as it should.
I can't seem to get it to work with the Find dialog, however. Even if I return a string that's *not* comma-separated via the "IManExt.SelectedString" context item, the Custom3 text box in the Find profile dialog still remains blank.
Here's a cut-down test case with the .Execute() method of my custom command, written in C#:
public override void Execute()
{
System.Windows.Forms.MessageBox.Show("The command is definitely running");
this.Context.Add("IManExt.SelectedString", "MS-1-1");
this.Context.Add("IManExt.Refresh", true);
}
If I use this with the Edit Profile dialog (for instance), then on clicking the popup button next to Custom3, I first get the dialog to confirm the command is definitely running, then the text "MS-1-1" is inserted into the text box after I've clicked OK.
If I use this with the Search Dialog, then on clicking the popup button next to Custom3, I first get the dialog to confirm the command is definitely running, but the text box for custom3 remains blank after I've clicked OK.

I'm presently running this inside Desksite 8.2.598.
I guess I have a couple of specific questions:
* Should I be plugging the text into a different context variable for it to be returned to the Find dialog, or is it definitely "IManExt.SelectedString" as seems to be documented?
* Is there a length limit on the string that can be returned? We have roughly 20,000 strings in the validation table for that field (which my dialog shapes into a nice tree shape), and it's possible that people might want to search for large sets or subsets of them at a time. Even if I padded it with wildcards to encompass larger groups, I think the comma-separated search string could easily get quite long.
Another issue I've noticed on the side is that the documented Boolean context item called IManExt.SelectionDlg.MultipleSelection doesn't seem to be getting passed to my custom dialog as far as I can tell. If I try to look it up, I simply get an exception. (I even iterated through the names of every ContextItem in the collection being passed to the command, and nothing looked similar.) It's not as difficult a problem for me at this point, though, since I can work around it by using different custom command wrappers for the different dialogs.
Thanks for any help.
Mike.