Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Retrieval Task: AI to PNG?
CalvinFold
Making a retrieval task that converts a PSD with transparency to a PNG with transparency was relatively easy.
However, I find it odd that it seems impossible to convert any vector format (EPS, AI, PDF...especially AI) reliably into a a PNG with transparency.
We use PNG as the format for users to convert graphics to for PowerPoint from our Mac-originated graphics, and the ability to have logos and graphics lay over backgrounds is important. Right now we have to store logos in AI for designers and separate GIF or PNG made manually for PowerPoint users, which is redundant.
Is it possible to get a PNG with transparency from an AI file with a Retrieval Task?
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
lyman
What version of MediaBin are you using and what version of AI? I ask becaus eprior to a certain version AI files were actually eps and beyond that point they were pdf (okay there are also some "proprietary" ai files that we do not ingest).
Also, are you using AGS?
Cheers,
Lyman Hurd
CalvinFold
MedaiBin 4.6.1
--Recently upgraded, just went live a couple weeks ago
Mac AI 13 (aka CS3)
--Am aware of the internal construction issues...AI 11, 12, and 13 (CS1, CS2, CS3) generate files that are almost identical to PDF files. AI 9 and 10 also generated PDF-based native files. AI 8 and below generate files that are a cross between raw PostScript and EPSF, and they look like TXT to the operating system in some cases.
No AGS
--We decided to not install it during the upgrade since it's unsupported by Adobe and depricated by Interwoven.
lyman
Afraid I do not think I have a good solution. Unlike our vector eps rip, our PDF rip doe snot preserve transparency. If you had an example file there is a long shot that AGS could do the transformation (I am dubious since they stopped fully supporting features of the creative suite several versions ago).
I am checking with the author of our PDF support to see if he has any ideas and will append to this thread if I get any more suggestions. Sorry to not be more helpful.
Cheers,
Lyman Hurd
CalvinFold
Consider it a feature request:
The ability to create PNGs with transparency from native Adobe Illustrator files.
(Ideally convert to any transparency-supporting format...PNG, PSD, etc.)