I have two teamsite servers. Before release, all the changed/new content/templates are on base-server. Before release day, we have to manually go through a list of DCRs and compare the version on base-server with ones on production. We sound an alarm to the users if one of the files on the list also exists on production and has a

month modification date.
I am trying to come up with ideas to get rid of this manual step. We are thinking of bringing this in as part of the workflow where we provide the users with the list of files that conflict with those on production.
One task is to query the production server and get relevant info about a file. I can either achieve this with an http ipl script or an ssh script, but they both seem like messy solutions.
Has anyone else faced a similar problem? Any ideas?
I can't tell the users to compare the two files themselves - they've been spoiled.