Reorganization of an entire docbase folder and subfolder file structure

I have an organization that has a rather archaic and very difficult to browse folder structure. They wish to reorganize all the folders and have an idea of how they wish to do so. Can one simply drag and drop the folders to a new location with the folder and subfolders and documents move as well, as long as you move the topmost folder? What is required to do this? Please assist. Thank you.

Comments

• Are you using Webtop? If so and your users install drag and drop plugin, they should be able to move folders to different location assuming their user accts have appropriate permissions on folder objects themselves.

• DocLady1
    edited November 18, 2019 #3

I was planning on the system administrator doing it. Should they use Webtop or the D2 web tool? This is a massive folder reorganization moving hundreds of folders to new locations.

• This is a massive folder reorganization moving hundreds of folders to new locations.

• If you are moving the parent folder to new location, it doesn't matter how many subfolders are under the parent folder. Since you are planning to use Sysadmin acct, your permissions should be fine. If you don't want to install drag and drop (b/c its ActiveX), you can use Documentum Administrator (DA) to move folders. Select desired folder to move, click Edit->Add to Clipboard and then find target location and click Edit->Move here.

• > ...moving parent folder to new location ...doesn't matter how many subfolders are under the parent folder.

Please test that carefully with mass data in some Test/QA system!

In a current project we got inconsistencies r_folder_path - i_ancestor_id from larger folder structure movement (Content Server 7.2 Linux Oracle).

At first sight it was not clear whether that is a product bug or might come from some customization (custom folder object type, asynch server job performing folder movement)... being checked by OT a product bug for particular corner cases was confirmed (logged as defect CS-119569)... we already got several binaries from OT writing more log messages and trying to fix that issue... still ongoing.

• Good point @fmejwagner - always take a full backup (including DB and filestore) before you do any significant changes to repository.