Can we have different metadata for different templates in a same branch?I think we can have by setting the metadata-rules.cfg file.But at the same time I want to do metadata-deployment of it to database. Is it possible? And if yes how?For metadata deployment we need mdc_dd.cfg and debschema.cfg files....? Can we changes these file? And what we need to change in this?
Yes I do understand my requirement Probably I am not able to explain it properly.I want different metadata for different templates in the same branch.Eg: A branch ABC have A, B and C DCTs.I want the following:metadata for DCT A say name, numbermetadata for DCT B say num (not number)metadata for DCT C say name, number, titleWhen we set above metadata , I also want that metadata deployment should be done to database through DAS...Are these things possible ? Please let me know if it's not clear.
while I confirm that this is trivial, I always am uneasy about attaching metadata to/in DCRs - UNLESS DCRs are the final content that you are producing.
Agreed with the classic TS only implementations. However, it is not uncommon to tag DCRs that are consumed by SitePublisher / LiveSite pages.
I've done a number of implementations where Metadata was tagged on the DCRs and the PTs took care of transferring the metadata to the generated pages. IMO this is reasonable as the DCRs are the source and the pages are generated output. The content contributors interact directly with the creation of the DCRs and thus both content and metadata is within their domain. The generated output is created programmatically and deployed and generally shouldn't be modified after-the-fact. I'm not saying this is the "only" view - just a reasonably legitimate view (IMO) that would account for metadata being set on DCRs.
... You are likely not familiar with metadata librarians. They would easily point you out that there could be a manuscript or a text/word file. But it's not this file, but the end book that will recieve ISSN/ISBN number.
your mentioned the method of implementation that was in use by IWOV consultants for some time, while the MD capture form was crappy and unusable. So, yes, it is kind of legitimate. But I'd call it a 'legacy style' implementation
Shall we just agree to disagree [somewhat] on this point?
Is it possible. Already I have read the manuals...So please don't reply with that again
Please find the attached mdc_dd.cfg file.Please let me know what we can do to resolve my issue.As you said is correct that we should use DAS.But if the existing architecture is based on DAS, we should use the same.But then it seems this is a bug with teamsite. Teamsite should create different tables by looking at metadata-rule.cfg file for different branches or may be different DCRs in same branch. It should not create one big table.
Teamsite should create different tables by looking at metadata-rule.cfg file for different branches or may be different DCRs in same branch. It should not create one big table.
gzevin,mdc_dd.cfg file can be generated with iwsyncdb command....this file can be generated either based on dbschema.cfg file which we can generate with the iwsyncdb command or we can create it manually. I tried to add different tables in dbschema.cfg but there is one restriction that out of all groups only one can be the root group. So if I create only one group as master and others as non-root then when I try to add a row to one table it will add the records to all the tables and then it fails because other tables might have different metadata fields which can be null. And if the primary key is null then there will be the SQL exception for this.....If you have solution for this let me know....
I am not expecting as I have a need.This should be expected generally. If they are not creating different tables for different metadata values in datacapture.cfg file then this is a bug.Based on this datacapture.cfg, it generates one big tables with the column names prefixed with rule_name. So if I have 10 branches using diffent set of metadata and each having 5 metadata fields . Then it will create 10*5 =50 column table. This is ridiculous.This is the general expectation that it should create different tables (for DAS) based on datacapture.cfg file. But it is not, so it is a bug.We are sharing same mdc_dd.cfg file for the whole teamsite (tell me if we can create different mdc_dd.cfg files per branch/per DCR or like that), and then if we decide that I want to generate the this mdc_dd.cfg file based on manual created dbschema.cfg file. But how we can design dbschema.cfg file for different branches? As it allows only one root group. That means if it tries to add a record to one tables out of the 11 tables (one will be with the root-group="yes" : this is common fields for all the other tables (eg: Path, branch, workarea and path as combination of these 3 as primary key ) then it will try to add the record to all the tables. Here we will get the SQL exception.....Please suggest.