I never use iwregen. I only us iwpt_compile. You have hit the primary issues. When you set the EAs you may find that iwpt_compile slower that iwregen.Of course, iwregen implies you have something to regenerate. So if you are creating version 1 of a file, it won't work. That is why I use iwpt_compile exclusively.
I am having some problem using the command 'iwgen', it gives me "Application Error" message. It seems like Window updates happened on the Server and it updated the dll or other related files. The actual iwgen.exe file is not changed at all.For a quick fix, I used iwpt_compile.ipl to generate the output files.In this case, I have to set the extra dcr's ea to the output file. Other than that what are the pros/cons to use this? Could somebody please explain this? Also I have noticed that iwpt_comile.ipl is slightly faster than iwgen. Is that true or am I mis-comparing something?Thanks in advance,Ben