Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Search - is seperate server really required
steveblunden
Hi,
We've recently implmented a new Teamsite 6.7.2 server. I'm planning to install search, but was wondering if its really necessary to use a seperate server?
We're only expecting approx 5-10 searches per day, and the spec of the TeamSite server is very high.
Would the indexing kill the performance of the server? Or would it not matter (or could it be scheduled to run overnight)
Any advice would be welcome.
Thanks
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Pawan
Once you install the search on the same box, you can configure it to index the branches which you intend to search. Yes, search is memory and processor intensive, so initially it may take more CPU usage, but once the indexing is done it will keep the CPU usage to low.
But the indexing will take again a lot of CPU usage whenever you index a new branch or delete and recreate a new indexed branch.
nipper
I have never installed search on a different server from the main TS server.
The search itself is not an issue. The indexer is. When you install search only config a couple branches at a time (near the end of the day) and let the search index get built.
I did one last weekend, indexed 8 large branches. The index was not complete by Monday (I think it got unhappy at some point) I bounced the indexer and everything was cool.
HTH
Andy
Migrateduser
Recently we moved our search to a different server because of performance issues. At that time, a support ticked was opened to see if there was anything we could do in regards to the poor performance. Support recommended us to delete editions but that did not work.
Since we moved search to a different server performance now is great!
Platform:
TS: 6.7.1 SP1
WIN2003 SP2
NewFile.xml
CrosstabFromXMLDataSet.rptdesign
smwangi
I too installed Search recently on the same box with 27 branches with thousands of EDITIONS.
The indexing took about a week and performance was an issue during this. But after I am experiencing pre_search install perfomance levels.. All running good.
Expect some performance loss while indexing and if possible build your indexes gradually.
Steve
ts 672 Solaris