Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Migrating to new DCR structure
cdoloriert
Hi All,
TS 6.7.2
We are in the process of changing data capture files for our user requirements, but my team discovered that existing DCRs might lose some of their current data if the user tries to save data. Ideally, we need to migrate all the data to the new DCR structure and we are trying to figure out the best way to do this.
I was thinking maybe some xml manipulation should be the best way to go.
Do you have any ideas?
Any examples?
Will you recommend any other approach?
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
vpatel
Old XML to New XML -- XSLT transformation could be an option.
nipper
I have written a conversion script for this before, usually pretty easy (though I did not look at your DCTs)
However in cases when I put change one large field to several smaller fields I leave the original (as a legacy field) allowing the user to keep the data and convert on their schedule. Then turn it off later.
Adam Stoller
As vpatel indicated, xslt could be used.
Alternatively you could write a program in Perl or Java that does XML parsing and adjusts things.
I haven't looked at the files posted (using someone else's computer right now) - but you need to be aware of changes made to the structure that will break existing FormAPI code and/or existing PTs (regardless of whether they're old-style .tpl's or new-style xslt's)
I've used the latter method at a couple of customer sites in which I wrote a script that utilized a configuration file to handle the mappings and had the script change the DCRs, the FormAPI code, and the PTs using both XML and regex coding. It can be done, but it's best done on a DEV server first with an edition cut before proceeding so that you can back everything out and try again as you debug the process.
cdoloriert
Hi,
Do you have any examples on how to do this on PERL?
In the meantime, I'm doing some research to know.
I will appreciate it.
Thanks in advance.
nipper
I do not think sample code would help.
Depending on the old form or the new form, I might use a regex (which is fast and simple) but that can get complicated easily.
Otherwise I might use XMLnode and parse the DCR, taking the new data and pushing out the new form.
cdoloriert
Hi,
We used PERL and it worked beautifully with no issues. We did the migration and most DCRs got migrated well, but some HTML code needed some special encoding.
Thanks guys.