We have a requirement to handle the external task failure scenarios in workflow. If any external task fails, then email notification should be send to admin after a particular time period. This need be implemented for all external tasks in the workflow. I can think of using the dummy task. Has any one done this kind of implementation, if yes please let us know the best approach. Any ideas on this would be helpful and appreciated. We are using TS6.7.1 on Solaris.Thanks in advance
You can probably have two transitions coming out of your external task: 1. success: if your external task ran successfully -- this could be the logical next task in your process.2. failure: if your external task failed -- this could be the email notification task that you want to notify people of the the failed external task.
I've done it many times, as has Nipper and I'm sure several other folks here. I don't believe you want a dummytask anywhere in this process though. I create timeout handlers with one, possibly two, externaltask(s)I create error handlers with two externaltasks surrounding a single grouptaskI utilize job variables for maintaining state information.If you want more details - you would need to hire me for a contract :-)
Thanks for all your input. As nipper mentioned, we can handle the task, if the task fails and said it didn’t work. Our requirement is to handle the task which crashes in the middle and it hangs. My understanding from reply is that there will be timeout logic in the external scripts itself and it calls the admin email task after it reaches a particular timeout period, which goes to admin fix. Please correct me if I am wrong.We are using the WFM for workflow implementation.Thanks
Our requirement is to handle the task which crashes in the middle and it hangs.