Does Documentum 6.7 support REST API

Options

Hi,

We have a business requirement to move some of the files from Documentum 6.7 content server to Sharepoint online. Can you help with the below questions ?

1) Because Documentum 6.7 is quite old, do we not have it's binaries/downloadable available from anywhere from opentext or elsewhere ?

2) Secondly the most important question is, does Documentum 6.7 not support REST/web services so we can automate the process of moving files from Documentum 6.7 ?

3) How can we check on the Documentum 6.7 if it does support REST API/web services or not ?

4) Does documentum support sftp/scp/soap services or any other way to connect and download directories/files on Documentum 6.7?

5) If none above possible, can we archive the historical data and move to Sharepoint, I understand the storage of the data is in encrypted form.

Any suggestion how can we automate the process of moving files from Documentum 6.7 to Sharepoint online?

Thanks

ifti

Comments

• DCTM_Guru
    edited February 16, 2022 #2
    Options

Here's my $0.02

1) If your customer doesnt have install exe or doesnt have active support contract, you wont be able to get these since is not supported/not available to general public

2) I believe REST API didnt become available until ver 7.2. You dont need REST in order to move content. You can write java utility using DFC.jar (native java library).

3) see #2

4) see #2. You can create your own web services using SOAP and DFS (Documentum Foundation Services - precursor to REST). I believe DFS was around in 6.7, so this might be an approach.

5) If files are encrypted, then you will need to decrypt them before you migrate them to SP. If you use DFC, DFS, or REST, the file export process should decrypt it.

• You didn't explain if this is a one time migration or if you want to keep Documentum and SharePoint. In the first case, as Johnny said, you can write a simple DFC/Java program to migrate the content. In the latter case, there is an OpenText SharePoint connector but you will need to upgrade your Documentum Server first.

• Hi guys,

Thanks for your responses.

It's a ONE time excercise ONLY.

I found these Java code, I have java expereince so will try to look into these. Is this what we talking about right?

https://gist.github.com/tewari2312/b31ecae262328312bb227e101abf27b6

I couldn't find any code related to this bit. Any reference how to decrypt folders/files ?

5) If files are encrypted, then you will need to decrypt them before you migrate them to SP. If you use DFC, DFS, or REST, the file export process should decrypt it.

Once I am able to download on my local machine then I can write a routine on my local machine to upload to Sharepoint hopefully later and yes it's only one time excercise.

We have around 400K files and around 200GB data. Should be doable I think?

thanks

ifti

• I couldn't find any code related to this bit. Any reference how to decrypt folders/files?

• The actual export of file from repository to client (ie laptop) using DFC will decrypt as part of the export process. Just look for DFC samples on file export.

There is no limit on the number of files and how much large the files. I have migrated millions of files in/out of Documentum. Once you have you have your DFC app functioning, you can run this app across multiple machines/threads. Its been awhile since I did this, but when we did this, we were hit a max about 4-6 threads, since at that point you will start hitting database concurrency issues.