Thanks for the reply. But I already went through those docs even before posting my query. It was very confusing to understand iw_iterate. Anyways I solved my problem using perl programming and dcr list. But If any one can explain how the iw_iterate works it would be great too.
Hey It worked fine and this is much simpler than using dcr list and looping through it. Thanks for clearing that up.
<iw_iterate list="dcr.Content.links" var="links"> <a href='{iw_value name="links.URL"/}'><iw_value name="links.label"/></a><br /></iw_iterate>
foreach my $links (iwpt_dcr_list('dcr.Content.links'){ iwpt_output(qq(<a href="$link->value('URL')">$links->value('label')</a><br />\n));}
the XML code that you utilize actually gets translated into Perl code behind the scenes and that code is rather obfuscated (if you use iwpt_compile.ipl with the -ocode flag you can see the resulting code).
The two methods are not that different, it's more a question of how much other stuff you do within your PT whether one is easier to handle than the other.
... my presentation template is more complicated and I find that iw_iterate looks a bit more simple and easy to deal with ...