Huh ? Having content in the same folder as what ? Other content ? How much ?In general it is a bad idea to have folders with many hundred (or more) files. I try to keep the max at 300 or so.
hey nipper,I meant files. Well we want to propose our clients the need to structure their data. but then they would say they'll live with it.So i need some quantifiable data like performance hit/memory hit so that i can convince them. I have tried creating such a scenario in our test environment and could see a high memory usage. Do you any other resource that can be hit? The more cons i get the more i can convince them thanks
You do not say what OS, I am assuming DOS since you mention folders instead of directories.Sure 3 big reasons. 1, performance - OS's do not like thousands of files in a single directory. 2, CMS usability - users do not like thousands of files in a single directory. 3 SEO (search engine optimization) - google uses the URL (which will likely be dependent on the directory structure) as one of its criteria for ranking. URL is rather important that way so having a descriptive directory structure is an easy way to improve your google standing.