Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Junk characters shown in BackOffice
SantoshKumar03
Hi All,
Here is the problem that I m facing:
In teamsite, I m picking the values of some variables (whose values are Chinese Characters) from a resource file (properties_chinese.nav),
Component- "A" picks up the value from this resource file-> properties_chinese.nav
And when I add the component "A" in a PAGE, then instead of showing Chinese characters, junk values are shown.
Could you please help me out in this issue?
Your help is really appreciated.
Best Regards,
Santosh
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Adam Stoller
Does the page explicitly state the character encoding to use?
Does the browser support, and is set for, the character encoding being used?
working.PNG
not_working.PNG
SantoshKumar03
Hi Ghoti,
Thanks for your response. Actually I m new to InterWoven.
I will just rephrase my problem.
> I m using Chinese Characters for variables in a DCR.
I m using these variables in a Component.
When I add a component to a PAGE, then the Chinese Characters are shown as junk values.
But when I deploy the same PAGE, it is working fine and the Chinese characters are shown.
I m using IE-6 for TeamSite and LiveSite.
I m a bit confused about your queries.
>> Qn: Does the page explicitly state the character encoding to use?
Doubt: how can we know if the page is explicitly set for any characters encoding to use?
>> Qn: Does the browser support, and is set for, the character encoding being used?
Doubt: As I said, I m using IE-6. How can I set it for the the character encoding?
Also I would like to mention:
On TeamSite, junk characters are shown instead of Chinese characters.
But when I deploy the same PAGE to the runtime environment, then Chinese characters are shown properly.
I really appreciate your help.
Best Regards,
Santosh
Adam Stoller
I haven't done any work with SP/LS components so I can only guess that there's something being included in the HTML output when the page is rendered in production that isn't being included when it is being rendered for preview.
As for character encoding of HTML pages - try google and/or spend some time on w3schools.com.
As for character encoding in browser - it's usually somewhere under a
View
menu in the browser - you can try playing with different settings while previewing your page and see if it has any effect.
SantoshKumar03
thanks Ghoti for giving the info regarding the "View -> Encoding" in IE,
but the problem still persists. Its OK.
test445.rptdesign
cesarecastro
SantoshKumar03
base on your explanation it seems like the character encoding is not declared in the .PAGE. Compare the two page headers in .PAGE vs Server Page. The following is for English but Chinese would be someone similar. The .Page may have the incorrect encoding or it maybe even missing.
!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<br> ZZZZZ-XXXXXXXX<br><meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=EmulateIE7" />
ZZZZZZZ
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />"