What version of TS and Search are you using?If I recall correctly (I haven't done much work with Search) - all metadata is available for searching on by default, and the fieldmapping.xml file is to provide the ability to search exclusively on a particular metadata field - by adjusting the UI to provide an item in a drop-down list to narrow the search scope.Are you trying to narrow the search scope to just that variable, or are you trying to do a full-text search and have the metadata values included in the criteria?Are you looking for something in the workarea? or have you submitted the file and verified that it's gotten re-indexed?For any additional assistance you would probably have to post the metadata capture DCT and your fieldmapping.xml file.
I'm using TS 7.0.. i'm trying to narrow the search scope for full text search with metadata values as search criteria... For example if im adding a metadata named 'Type of product'.. The name of that metadata should appear in the drop down list of Advanced search page and the user should be able to search all the DCRs having that relevant metadata...