Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
How to achieve 404 scenario in TeamSite pages
Kapil_sape
Hi,
404 scenarios are very common in any web-sites.
We are building web-site using TS 7.2.1, Livesite 7.2.1 and application is running on Dotnet controls. We are creating pages using SitePublisher components.
In such case how to handle 404 errors. One recommendation could be:
On a very high level create a "page not found.page" file in TeamSite and redirect to this page via web.config file of Dotnet control as and when 404 request comes.
I am not aware of Dotnet so is this a right approach or there can be a better way to achieve this.
Help or suggestions are much appreciated.
Thanks,
Kapil
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Bowker
I have been playing around with "file not found" type of errors this week and have found that there are at least 2 different errors you can get, 404 and 490 [sic].
404 - (empirical evidence only) the rewrite rules on the application server that runs LiveSite only forwards URIs that end in .page or that appear to be a directory reference (No periods in last portion). Therefore redirecting the 404 condition (missing image or document) is, I believe, being handled by the configuration of the app server. LiveSite ships with TomCat.
-- Side note: I just created an alias with a period in it (****/fn.ln). SitePublisher accepted it, but it didn't work after publishing. So my theory above still holds.
490 - (this one I've done extensive looking into) If there is no alias defined for the given URI, that doesn't contain a period, then LiveSite will through a 490 error and redirect to InvalidSite.jsp. From there you can do what you want (see my other recent posts about this page)
Not sure if that helps, but it's information that other's may find useful.
Kapil_sape
Hi Bowker,
In default.site we can configure 'Error page' parameter. We have created a 'page not found.page' file and configured 'Error page: page not found.page'. Does this mean whenever a user hits sites/abc.page where abc.page does not exist it will get redirected to page not found.page.
Am I correct?
Thanks,
Kapil Jain
Bowker
From what I can tell yes. There are three different 404 errors:
1) an image or resource is not found (.jpg, gif, .css, .js, .pdf..) That's controlled by the app server.
2) Alias not found (/abc/xyz [no period]) is handled by InvalidSite.jsp
3) .page file not found is handled by "error" which is setup in site.default.
So If I understand your question - yes.