Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
upgrade TS 6.5 Solaris 9 to Solaris 10 => TS 6.7.2 or 7.2.1?
Frederik
Hi folks,
I've been asked to look into the migration of a TeamSite based application/website -the application may be end-of-lifed in 2-3 years (or not).
The whole application is complicated, but the TeamSite part of it is relatively simple (mostly based on wft workflows, and perl code that exchanges metadata etc with other servers)
The underlying need is to abandon Solaris 9 OS and (expensive) hardware, to go to Solaris 10 (or even other OS). That means we can't stay with current version 6.5 SP2
So, I'm sitting here comparing TeamSite 6.7.2 SP2 and 7.2.1 as target versions...
Anyone have any thoughts on what would be the better low-maintenance, stable version?
So far I thought of
6.7.2 SP2
+
the last of a long line of 6.7.2 versions, so hopefully fully patched to perfection? (at least those were the days that patches were available in customer area)
+
no need for external db.
+
supports WinXP with IE6 - our current standard company desktop OS.
-
no support of IE8 or Win7
7.2.1
+
supports IE8 and Windows 7, projected to become our future standard company desktop OS
+
we learn to use the latest version, and could potentially use that experience for future other applications that may need it.
-
no support IE6 (our current browser, although IE8 is available via a workaround)
-
needs external db
-
new stuff (dependency manager, gcm, lots of db) that is poorly documented, throws the occasional error, potentially makes backups/maintenance more complex, and we don't need it.
-
new patches typically require adopting next full version (coming out every year?)
Comments greatly appreciated :-)
PS: if other 6.7.x versions are even more appropriate as "stable version", do tell me...
Frederik.
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
thatfish
The pain may be slightly greater upgrading to 721, however, failing to upgrade to the latest stable release should be considered a tactical upgrade. Personally I consider any upgrade should be strategic unless there is a very strong business case otherwise. Even if your timescales are getting through the next 2-3 years in a BAU development regime I think you are better off biting the bullet and going 721.
All that said I've minimal exposure to 721 so am assuming that all your legacy wfts and perl still works on 721 which I believe should be the case.
nipper
And make certain you have very good backups before 721 and plan on a much longer upgrade time/verification
Serious pain in the a$$
cesarecastro
Depending on how picky and loud your user base is, I will suggest an upgrade to the stable version TS 6.7.2 and avoid some of the bugs in 7.2.1. 7.3 is about to be relased and I hear that it is less buggy than 7.2.1. BUT, dont take my word for it, because it may be as bad as 7.2 was when first released.