Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Save DCR outside parent directory
ela
Hi,
we've got templates in 3 languages and the structure looks like this:
templatedata/news/german
*data
*datacapture.cfg
*presentation
templatedata/news/french
*data
*datacapture.cfg
*presentation
templatedata/news/italian
*data
*datacapture.cfg
*presentation
However, now the users would like to have the option to save for instance the german dcr in the two other language directories. What would be the easiest solution?
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Adam Stoller
I believe (this is not my area of expertise) that you could have the DCTs/DCRs encoded in UTF-8 and have just a single data-type for all the languages in one DCT/DCR and then use the presentation template (PT) to generate multiple pages from a single DCR (e.g., a french page, a german page, etc.)
Other than doing that - you cannot currently move a DCR out of the /templatedata/category/data-type/data directory structure. You can create sub-directories under 'data', but the DCR has to be at the 'data' level or below. You cannot move a DCR of data-type "A" into the data directory for data-type "B" and have it function correctly.
--fish
(Interwoven Senior Technical Consultant)
gzevin
as Adam said, one (and the best in my opinion too ) option is to ahve the news for all languages in 1 DCR (especially provided they are in european languages).
However, you could save it to another directory and change its extended attribute to reflect the change.
another thing - why don't save the news in different directories under one data? (provided the DCr structure is identical - and I presume it's the case)
Greg Zevin
Interwoven Consultant/Architect
RichStringOUT.ssd.zip
RichStringOUT.pdf
ela
Thanks a lot to both of you for the quick replies!
I agree that your solution is the simplest one technically, but in our case it would mean a lot of work, because we would have to:
a) change the structure and move the content
b) change paths in lot of workflow scripts
I will try to create a script instead, which can be called from the standard menu, or make it part of a workflow.
I am still open for other suggestions, though!;-)
ela
So, now I think I've got what I needed:
I found an article (48814) on the IW support pages, which provided a script for generating extended attributes. The users can now use the Samba share for copying the files, and after selecting these files in the TeamSite GUI, they can call that script from the standard menu (added menu item to the iw.cfg file) and the extattr get generated. I had to modify the script just a little bit to make it work the way I wanted.
Edited by ela on 12/03/02 00:42 AM (server time).
Adam Stoller
Are you saying that you can now put a DCR of category-1/data-type-1/ into a directory under category-N/data-type-N/ and have it treated like a DCR of category-1/data-type-1/ ?
At least I thought that was the original question - and again, to the best of my knowledge, this won't work - despite the Extended Attributes, the file will be treated as if it is of category-N/data-type-N/ in this situation.
If you've found differently, please share your solution.
If this is not what you are doing, can you please clarify your request?
--fish
(Interwoven Senior Technical Consultant)
ela
I didn't want to copy the DCRs to another category, only to another data type. In your example it means copying a DCR of category-1/data-type-1/ into category-1/data-type-2/
In our case we've got three data types under each category and these data types are the three languages (german, french, italian). Each language has it's own DCT, because of language specific default values. I admit it would have been easier to have just one DCT for all the languages, but it was done like this from the beginning two years ago and would mean a lot of work to change now.
The relevant users have tested and found the solution good, so I'll leave it at that for now.
Thanks again for showing interest, that makes it useful to check out the different forums now and then, or to post a question if necessary!:-)
Adam Stoller
Do the DCTs in the different data-type directories have the identical structure? If so, that explains why it is working - because once created, you no longer need to worry about the language-specific default values (right?) and it just reads in the existing data from one data-type's DCR according to another data-type's DCT. The fact that the structures are identical (I'm assuming) allows this to happen transparently for your users - however if the PT's are different, you might still run into problems...
--fish
(Interwoven Senior Technical Consultant)
ela
Hi again,
yes, the structure in the data-type directories is identical. The language specific values can be changed by the user when editing the DCR. The PT's also have language specific values (e.g. text or logo links), but they all have the same items. The Workflow generate the DCR with the corresponding PT (in the same data-type directory).
We have done the same earlier so I know it works, but then without the "createdcr" script, so I had to add the extended attributes manually afterwards.
Of course, it would have been nice if the TeamSite command "copy" (from the File menu) would do the same, but at the moment the extattr's get lost and you can also only copy one file at the time. However, I find it strange that with the command "copy to area" the file keeps the extattr's, while with "copy" it's not the case. Perhaps this is different in later versions, we're currently running on TS 4.5.1, but will do the upgrade to 5.5.2.
Adam Stoller
FYI - in 5.5.2 Copy preserves Extended Attributes
--fish
(Interwoven Senior Technical Consultant)