Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
OD performance
PaulD
Hi
We're trying to migrate some TS branches from NT to AIX using OD 5.5.1 on both. However, we are running into really bad throughput: Our rate is on the order of 1GB per Day. When we use ftp the rate is 1GB/~10-15 mins so I'm assuming I set something up wrong in OD. Any suggestions? bufferSize is 8000 in odbase.xml
(BTW, since the obviousness of using ftp will be mentioned, I must say that with one deployment configuration, 99% of the work will be done for you: right data in right dirs with right permissions, etc, etc., PLUS OD preserves the date time stamps across disparate OS's -- a feature our customer *loves*)
thank you!
Paul Dailey
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Migrateduser
Paul,
Which version of TeamSite are you using?
Which version of AIX?
Are you running file list, dir-diff, or TS-based deployments?
Which OD do you have installed on the AIX box?
The latest OD releases for AIX are:
+ OD 5.5.1 for AIX 4.3.3 with SP2 plus patch 1296
+ OD 5.5.1b for AIX 5.1 plus patch 1280
+ OD 5.6 for AIX 5.1
I seem to recall some performance issues pertaining to deployments *from* AIX-based TeamSite installations, but it appears you are deploying *to* AIX.
Todd
Todd Scallan
Group Product Manager
Interwoven
t: 408-530-7167
e:
tscallan@interwoven.com
PaulD
Todd,
AIX ver: 5.1, Maintenance Level 3
TS on AIX ver: 5.5.2
OD on AIX Version 5.5.1 Build 8891 SYM Interwoven 20020531
We are running dir-diff deployments.
And yes, we are deploying To AIX.
Thanks!
Migrateduser
Build 8891 is the vanilla OD 5.5.1 for AIX 5.1. You may want to try applying the latest patch (#1280). (Or better yet, upgrade to OD 5.6.)
Some things to try to narrow down the cause of the problem:
Deploy into a regular directory on AIX rather than a TS directory. If problem persists, this would rule out TS on AIX as the problem.
Do a file list deployment instead of dir-diff. If problem persists, this would rule out the back-and-forth comparison phase as the problem.
You may want to also try some loopback deployments on each platform to rule out any cross-platform or networking issues.
And if you haven't done so already, you should open a case with Tech Support so that they can attempt to recreate the problem.
Todd Scallan
Group Product Manager
Interwoven
t: 408-530-7167
e:
tscallan@interwoven.com
Adam Stoller
Could you post (as a zip'd or tar'd attachment) the deployment configuration file and the log files?
That might help shed some light on the matter.
--fish
(Interwoven Senior Technical Consultant)
PaulD
Thanks for the replies.
1) I've submitted the request to apply patch 1280. The sysadmin wants to goto 1296. Hope this isnt a big deal
2) I ran a test from a regular directory on NT to a regular dir (/usr/interwoven/iw-home/OpenDeployNG/tmp) on AIX and was recording 60KB/s ... approximately 6x faster than to the TeamSite STAGING directories.
3) I did a file-list to STAGING with same 10KB/s rate
4) I did a loopback on the AIX box from one staging area in the default store to another stagin area in our production store. It screamed: 350-390 KB/s (There are two stores on the AIX machine and two stores on the NT machine: default on both and production on both)
thanks!
Migrateduser
Please tell your sys admin to read the patch release notes carefully. You cannot apply patch 1296 to the version of OD you are running.
Per my earlier message, the latest OD releases for AIX are:
+ OD 5.5.1 for AIX 4.3.3 with SP2 plus patch 1296
+ OD 5.5.1b for AIX 5.1 plus patch 1280
+ OD 5.6 for AIX 5.1
It's OD 5.5.1b for AIX 5.1 that you have, so patch 1280 contains the latest fixes for your version. Better yet, if you can convince your admin, upgrade to OD 5.6.
Todd Scallan
Group Product Manager
Interwoven
t: 408-530-7167
e:
tscallan@interwoven.com
Adam Stoller
Uhm - you're trying to deploy *to* *STAGING* - this should not work at all - you have to deploy to a writeable area - such as a WORKAREA or a local directory on the receiving side. Are you sure about the target directory here?
Can you post (as an attachment) the deployment configuration file?
--fish
(Interwoven Senior Technical Consultant)
PaulD
Please dont get so upset.
I mistyped.
I migrated to a workarea other than STAGING
PaulD
Thanks. The admin was wrong -- thats novel.
They installed patch 1280 and my tests did not differ from those I posted above:
1) I've submitted the request to apply patch 1280. The sysadmin wants to goto 1296. Hope this isnt a big deal
2) I ran a test from a regular directory on NT to a regular dir (/usr/interwoven/iw-home/OpenDeployNG/tmp) on AIX and was recording 60KB/s ... approximately 6x faster than to the TeamSite directories.
3) I did a file-list from the NT TS dirs to the AIX TS dirs with same 10KB/s rate
4) I did a loopback on the AIX box from one staging area in the default store to another stagin area in our production store. It screamed: 350-390 KB/s (There are two stores on the AIX machine and two stores on the NT machine: default on both and production on both)
Adam Stoller
I wasn't upset (sorry if it came across that way) - I was just rather confused on how this worked at all - as stated.
--fish
(Interwoven Senior Technical Consultant)
Migrateduser
So if the loopback deployments ran quickly, it sounds like the bottleneck could be the connection between the machines.
OD uses a TCP session to communicate between sender and receiver. You might want to verify that the bufferSize attribute is set the same on both machines. This value can be found in odbase.xml and odrcvr.xml under the transportProperties element.
Todd Scallan
Group Product Manager
Interwoven
t: 408-530-7167
e:
tscallan@interwoven.com