Has anyone had any experience with migrating a content store to TeamSite 7.1?We are installing 7.1 on a new server and need to migrate the content store from the old v6.7.1 installation. I have found KB articles which outline how to do this for migrating from 6.5 to 6.7 but am wondering if the process is the same for going to 7.1. I'd greatly appreciate any tips or experience others may like to sharethanks in advanceSimon
I haven't tried doing this [yet] - but I would probably do the same things I've done for similar upgrades to fresh installations: Install software on new boxMake sure to cut editions on all branches on old boxStop TS on old box and copy entire backing store to some location on new box (then, optionally, restart TS on old box)Configure copy of old store as temporary second store on new box (iw.cfg) activate the temporary second store, deactivate the default storeRun iwmigrate from the copy of the old store to the new default storeWhen done, run iwfsck on the new default storeRun iwfsshrink on the new default storeIf you're going to have to do a follow-up incremental migration - stop TS on the new box and make a good copy of the backing store, as you'll need to restore that copy before doing an incremental migrationThat's a somewhat shortened, general process - but it's worked for me in the past when upgrading 5.5.2 installations to 6.x and upgrading 6.x to 6.7.2.
If you do not want to lose any history, then bag the iwmigrate step and just mount the old store as a new store. (which is in my case)
If you're not concerned about potential differences between the old and new version's native backing store (well, new and old-automatically-converted-to-new) formats then using the copy as-if it were new is fine (and definitely quicker)
Yea that is what I was thinking. BTW, any idea how to tell if/when the auotmatically-upgrade-convert-to-new has completed ? (doign 6.5 - 6.7.2 - 7.1)
iwmigrate doesn't lose history.The reason for iwmigrate (as opposed to just using a copy of the old store as if it were the new store) is that between versions of the product IWOV has occasionally included improvements to the backing store - and unless you do the iwmigrate step you don't get the benefits of those improvements.This is much more necessary from pre-6.x to 6.x versions but also applies (I think) to going between some of the various 6.x versions and thus is reasonable to consider doing if you're going to 7.xIf you're not concerned about potential differences between the old and new version's native backing store (well, new and old-automatically-converted-to-new) formats then using the copy as-if it were new is fine (and definitely quicker)
In your opinion, if I am moving from 5.5 to 7.1 and the old teamsite does not use anything but workflows and content store (i.e. No formpublisher) and users will be created new, does it make sense to do iwmigrate or just copy?
You cannot migrate from 5.5 to 7.15.5 was EOL years ago. You can create a new branch in 7.1 and copy the Staging area into it.Anything else will be long and painful. If you really need to migrate content with history from 5.5, bring in a consultant to help. I have done it once (5.5.2 to 6.7), it was quite difficult and time consuming.