Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
UNKNOWN_SEARCH_FAILURE exceptions
System
Just an FYI - we found a bug in Search that throws UNKNOWN_SEARCH_FAILURE exceptions occasionally when we run our cron script that kicks off our expiration process. The expiration process runs queries across 5 branches concurrently, every 5 minutes. This worked fine in 6.7.2, but now in 7.2.1, it's throwing these exceptions into the log quite often, but not all the time. After we got IW Support to talk to engineering about this exception, they came back with this:
I got an update last night from engineering that it is a defect in the code and will need a fix.
After further prodding for more detail, they came back with this:
The patch is only for the search/index server.
The workaround is not to run concurrent queries.
The root cause is one of the library we use is not thread safe.
I won't comment on the irony that a major Search company can't run concurrent queries. Anyway, They sent us a patch, which we will test out. I will update this thread with the results of our testing.
We are running 7.2.1 on RHEL 5.3
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
intervowen
Hi
Did you have any updates after your patch applied?
Were you have to over come the errors.
I have few search errors :
INFO com.interwoven.hunter.search.SearchWorker (Thread-667) - Connection terminated by client.
[08 Aug 2011 14:23:18,692] ERROR com.interwoven.hunter.index.IncrementalRequestCollection (ActiveMQ Session Task) - Event ignored
[08 Aug 2011 14:23:18,695] ERROR com.interwoven.hunter.index.IncrementalRequestCollection (ActiveMQ Session Task) - Sci error locating edition
TeamSite Code :5000059
Any suggestions Appreciated.
Thanks
Migrateduser
The patch we received for the error I mentioned seems to be working. However your problems appear to be something different so I doubt this patch would do anything useful for your errors.
Hithardha
Hi Smitty,
Thank you very much for your information. We are getting the same error UNKNOWN_SEARCH_FAILURE when doing the search from TS UI.
We are using TS 7.2.0 version. It would be great if you share more details about this support patch and the patch number.
Thank you.
-Hithardha T.
CubeSample.rptdesign
Migrateduser
Here's what we were given from IW as a solution. I have not noticed any more of these errors, but I can not say for sure that it is a complete solution.
In search.private.properties, change "iw.search.query.maxResults.size" from 5000 to 1000. You may have to stop and restart the Interwoven TeamSite Search for this change to take effect.
The reason for this change is that when the TeamSite search returns a large number of results, it will sometimes take too long returning them and interfere with other query threads (hence the "Read Timed Out" error). This specific set of conditions is also the reason that the error appears intermittently and only when searching certain subjects.
2CustomParametersReport.zip
Hithardha
Hi Smitty77,
Thank you very much for your prompt reply and valuable information.
Changing of iw.search.query.maxResults.size" from 5000 to 1000 will resolve the issue "UNKNOWN_SEARCH_FAILURE"?
Is this is the patch do you have or any other patch for this issue? If so, please let me know the patch number.
Kindly confirm.
Do you have any fix for the issue you mentioned in the post "The root cause is one of the library we use is not thread safe".?
Thank you in advance.
-Hithardha T.
Migrateduser
Yeah that change was for another instance of UNKNOWN_SEARCH_FAILURE. For the original one that I started this thread about, they sent me 2 new jar files:
hunter_common.jar and hunter_search.jar
I had to replace the original versions of those jar files. I am not super comfortable posting these jar files here as they may or may not fix your problem and I don't want to be responsible for giving out patches - you should ask Interwoven support for the patches they attached to Case 899949.
Hithardha
Hi Smitty77,
Thank you very much for your help and greatly appreciated. Have a good day