Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
if I use J2EE, should I keep using livesite component, template things?
MonkeyKing
As you know, J2EE things like JSP or Servlet can generate html pages, if these pages are generated, should we keep using livesite components to create html? or if we use livesite components to create webpages, is there any point to use JSP&Servlet?
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Rick Poulin
I'm a bit confused as to what you're getting at, so I'll start at the top and hopefully provide you with the answer you seek.
LiveSite (Display Services) is a technology that enables you to render semi-dynamic or fully-dynamic pages. By that I mean that LS pages created in SitePublisher typically contains "flat" components which merges semi-structured content with an XSL transform. From that, you can either generate HTML on the TeamSite side or you can let the LSDS render them for you at runtime. It's basically like a compiled JSP that doesn't get input from external sources. You can also create components that pull from external sources (Java classes) to mimic "real" JSPs, and this requires the DisplayServices to render at runtime.
Basically, the key decision to make relates to a) the user experience and b) performance. Normal JSP will almost always be faster than LSDS because you don't have to crunch XSL (even though LSDS does have a decent caching mechanism). But JSPs also require that you store your content elsewhere, whether as XML or in a DB, and so the SitePublisher content entry model doesn't really work with that, barring some crazy sort of custom mechanism that strips the content datums out of page files... even then, half the value of SP is the ability to modify layout and look&feel, which your other rendering technology would likely not support.
To perhaps directly answer your question in this context, LiveSite Display Services (previously Runtime) and JSP/Servlets are fairly mutually exclusive, barring some need to integrate with other apps or portals.
Also, let me say in advance that I feel your pain as a Java dev. Standard struts/tiles/hibernate is so much cleaner to work with, but those users are so picky.
MonkeyKing
Thanks Rick,
we are new to livesite and currently have some difficulty to define the technology scope. We are making a small website which requires to use Team Site (or Live Site, Site Publiser) product, but none of us has experience in using these things. From what I can see so far, J2EE is a bit exclusive to Livesite components, so we are wondering which way we should prefer to make the development better.
from what you have replied last time, I do find some clue. you said they are exclusive, and suggested us to choose one depends on our situation, that's help a bit and thanks for replying.
By the way, is there a classical pattern to use if we prefer Livesite components? I mean the architecture or framework, such as what kind of technology people always use to process the business logical, to access the database, etc.
Cheers
DownloadActuateAnalyticsDesigner_Win_x64.png
Stokes
I wouldn't say they're quite mutually exclusive, since a JSP tag library is available for embedding LiveSite content in JSPs.
If the pages with your TeamSite-managed content are stand-alone, then you should use LSDS to display your pages. If you have an existing JSP app that you want to merge a little TS-managed content into, then consider the JSP Tag Library.
I would caution that using the taglib is like embedding a mini-LSDS in your app, so it doesn't get you out of understanding SitePublisher to do development.
Stokes.