Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Windows Server 2008 Enterprise vs Standard
fiquebem
The Server Platforms in the Requirements section of the TeamSite 7.2.1 Release Notes include only Windows 2008 *Enterprise* Edition servers.
A client of mine asked:
>I need a little help to justify installing the Enterprise Edition of Windows Server on our new TeamSite [virtual (VMware)] boxes. Would you explain why Enterprise edition is required and what feature is going to be gained from this version that cannot be utilized in Standard Edition.
Anyone know any reason why TS 7.2.1 wouldn't run just as well on the cheaper Windows 2008 Standard Edition?
One difference between Enterprise and Standard that someone mentioned is that the Enterprise Edition includes clustering for failover or some such.
More importantly, my client has 300 TS users, so they need a full-fledged, no-licensing restrictions server, I think. But Windows 2008 would run on top of VMware, so Standard Edition would have a lighter footprint, I guess.
Anyway, why is isn't Windows Server 2008 Standard Edition a supported platform for TS 7.2.1? Because Autonomy didn't get around to testing TS 7.2.1 on a Standard server yet?
Thanks,
S.
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Adam Stoller
If you want an official response - open a case with Support or talk to your Autonomy Sale representative - or both.
Posting in the forum will mostly just get you conjecture and opinion about this (which might be correct, but is far from being "official")
nipper
SE was supported for 6.7.x so I am surprised it is not supported on a 7.2.1 box.
Now it may be something like IDOL or Targeting or something other than stock TS.
That being said they spend a quarter of a million on TS and gripe about $10K for EE ?
This is an enterprise application, requiring and enterprise OS is not unreasonable. So go to Unix. :-)
Migrateduser
I am running on Windows 2008 Standard Edition 64 bit on a VM. I know, I know, should be on Enterprise, but anyway, it's been up and running for a week now. Besides the installation being a little finicky (like most have encountered) it seems to be working fine. Now.... if I call support and inform them I'm on Standard Edition they may not help me out. Your call on whether you want to risk it. If they really wanted to prevent me from installing it on Standard Edition then they should have put in some checking that would have stopped me.
Snap 2015-08-10 at 10.59.12.png
NoValue.rptdesign
Frederik
I have asked the "is Windows Standard Edition supported" question to IWOV Support (using a Support Case) for a couple of recent versions (TS 6.7.2, TS 7.2.1, maybe more).
Each time they said: "yes, it's supported"
To the follow up question "why isn't it documented as such", the answer is always "we will inform our documentation team".
:-/
(Topic_37058)OS_BIRT_2.6.2_RunDataSetFromWithinLibrary.zip