Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Open Deploy Errors
Lynchy
Trying to start deploymnet from command line and receiving failed to get server initator(sic) error. Has anyone seen this before?? Thanks in advance!!!!!!
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Migrateduser
check the od-home/od.log and od-home/logs/servername_odbase.log on the sender for any further errors.
Are you sure that the odbase server is started (it has to be started for you to run deployments I believe).
Lynchy
Same Errors Appear in servername_odbase.log as I am seeing in command window. In Od.log I am seeing some jave error stating that port 9173 is already in use. How can I confirm that odbase server is started in a Unix environment? Thanks for any help you can provide.
Migrateduser
My guess is that something is either using port 9173 (either some other process or maybe OD's RMI listener hung and now can not be started).
Is this NT or solaris for the odbase server?
If solaris, try running "/etc/init.d/iwod stop" and then use netstat -an to see if there is anything listening on port 9173 and the od listener port that you have configured in odbase.xml (by default 20014).
If there is something listening then you will need to use some tools (fuser or lsof most likely) to find the process that has the port open. From there you can make a decision on what to do (if it is a java process associated with OD I would just kill it as it should have been stopped by the shutdown script).
As for the reason for the error, most likely the fact that the RMI listener is not responding is the most likely cause (which makes sense since you said that there were errors indicating that it could not start properly).
Lynchy
There is nothing on 20014 but there is something listening on 9173 using lsof it lists rmiregist as listening on port 9173. Thanks for your help. Any idea what may have caused the rmi listener to hang? Do suggest killing this process and reissuing iwod start? Thanks again.
Adam Stoller
Do you know if that's Interwoven's rmiregistry listening on port 9173 or some other application's utility?
If possible, I'd suggest rebooting the machine so that you have a sense of it coming up in a clean state (you might be able to just kill the process that's holding onto 9173, but then you're left with a question as to what you might have broken by doing so and whether or not this problem will happen again if/when the machine gets rebooted).
--fish
(Interwoven Senior Technical Consultant)
Lynchy
Thanks for the reply, unfortunately I have just started on this job and do not have root access to the server yet and our Unix admin is out until next week. This problem all started after trying to stop and then restart the Open Deploy Service using the iwod command. I am assuming that although this may have been successful at stopping the service that because this rmiregistry is listening on port 9173 as root that I do not have permissions to kill that process and therefore after OD service stopped and I Issued the iwod start command I am receiving the errors regarding the port already in use. Does that make sense to you?? Again this is an assumption and it seems that the easiest way to fix this problem is to wait for the Admin and have him reboot. Thanks for all your help folks.
P.S. Is there a way to tell if the rmiregistry is for sure Interwoven's or another application's from what I am told there are no other applications running on this box but I can not be sure that this is completely accurate.
Adam Stoller
I think your assessment sounds good.
Since you've determined that there is something called rmiregistry holding onto that port you can do something like:
ps -ef | grep rmireg
or
/usr/ucb/ps axwww | grep rmireg
and that should show you the command being run - for example something like:
-----------------------------
11464 ? S 87:05 /export/home/OpenDeployNG/jre/bin/../bin/sparc/native_threads/rmiregistry 9173
------------------------------
Clearly shows that the process is from OpenDeployNG - and so you're unlikely to break anything else by killing it.
--fish
(Interwoven Senior Technical Consultant)
Lynchy
This rmireg is definitely being held by OD. Thanks for confirming my suspicions sometimes it helps to have your assumptions reinforced. I will try to kill this process from the Command line and then restart OD and if this doesn't work it will serve as ammunition to get root access to the TeamSite server. Thanks again for the help.
Migrateduser
umm... you are trying to run OD as non-root? If so then that might be part of your problem since the default privs for log directories and work directores and such may prevent OD from starting as whatever user you are attempting to run as (this is not advised by the way since OD is severly limited in use when not running as root since only root has the ability to change the ownership of files).
Migrateduser
Never mind... I just read your earlier post. You should be using a root account to stop and start the iwod script as the processes it starts will be running as root and you won't be able to kill them otherwise.
This would also explain why Opendeploy did not restart correctly.
If you can't get full root access you might want to look into "sudo" as an alternative (restricted root access). More info can be found here:
http://www.courtesan.com/sudo/
(PS, some people have seen some problems with using sudo with restarting TS, so if you have a choice getting full root access is better, but I have not heard of any problems with using sudo with OD).
Lynchy
Thanks nacks and ghotti for your help I know that logging as root would be the ideal situation but I just started over here this past week and due to the holiday things are a little behind over here as far as getting me my neccesary permissions. I was trying to stop and restart OD figuring that if I could stop it I could also restart it(wrong) so it seems that after stopping the OD service I did not have permissions to kill the rmiregistry process that was running as root therefore the OD service stopped but the port 9173 remained open to the rmiregistry service so when attempting to restart the OD service I began receiving the port errors. Not used to TS or OD in UNIX environment so this should be interesting. Now I will just wait for the UNIX admin to get around to rebooting the server for me. Thanks again folks. Happy New Year.