Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Where to install 7.3.1 OpenDeploy Administration
System
Hi DevNetters -
We're trying to plan out a 7.3x Linux TeamSite / TS Search / OpenDeploy (and OpenDeploy Administration) installation.
In the past, TS, OD and OD Admin co-resided on the same machine just fine. We did this most recently on Linux with 7.2.1 products.
However, in the 7.3 OD Install Guide, there's a new blurb:
-----
Decide on Admin Installation
OD Admin should not be installed if you install TeamSite Admin 7.x is a unified admin. Therefore, do not install OpenDeploy Admin if you install TeamSite Admin 7.2.
You must uninstall OpenDeploy Admin before installing TeamSite 7.x Admin.
-----
This implies to me that something about 7.3.1 has introduced a contention between OD Admin and TS Admin. I've got a Support case open to verify if this is true.
While I wait on the info from that Support case, I've been thinking of installing OD Admin on another machine to possibly get rid of the contention.
Here's another quote from the 7.3 OD Installation manual:
-----
The OpenDeploy administration package can be installed on any host that has network access to the base servers and receivers to be administered. You can install the administration package on a host that also has a base server or receiver installed on it.
The order of installation does not matter.
-----
That implies to me that I can install OD Admin on a machine other than where TeamSite is installed. Good enough - we're going to do a 2 server implementation anyway: one with TS and OD on it, and the other with TS Search. I'm thinking of putting OD Admin on the Search server instead of the TS/OD server.
But now, here are some questions about that possibility:
? Does OD Admin -need- to be installed co-resident with an OD Base or Receiver? It doesn't say it needs to be, it just says it 'can'.
? If OD Admin is installed on a server other than the TS/OD server, where does it get its user information from to log in and act as an OD Admin or OD User? I'm guessing, by default, that it's from the OS users available on the machine that it is installed on, unless I want to do something like configure PAM authentication for the server and configure OD Admin to utilize that.
Thanks for any input and/or experiences with this.
Wally Box
Nike, Inc.
PS - I've run into a couple of TS folks that seems to think that, since there's some OD admin functionality now within the TeamSite Admin tool, there's now no need to implement OD Admin. Imho, those folks have never had to manage a set of remote OD receivers / bases.
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Migrateduser
Folks - Here's an update on this post:
The ticket with Support came back with "yes, it's OK to install OD Admin on the same server as OpenDeploy and TeamSite" - but no reason why the manual specifically calls out not to.
So we decided to install OD Admin on a separate server. The install went fine and the UI comes up, but just as I suspected, the question I posted previously:
????
If OD Admin is installed on a server other than the TS/OD server, where does it get its user information from to log in and act as an OD Admin or OD User? I'm guessing, by default, that it's from the OS users available on the machine that it is installed on, unless I want to do something like configure PAM authentication for the server and configure OD Admin to utilize that.
????
has come up. We can't yet contact the new Base OD from the OD Admin on another machine. I've got a ticket open for this one also, but they're slow at working on this one. Anyone know the magic setup to get these working together?
Cheers,
Wally
Nike, Inc.
Adam Stoller
Are you trying to work with OS or Non-OS users?
OS Users should probably work, Non-OS users might not work (in the same way that users who do not have Logon Locally privileges on Windows cannot login to the OD Admin UI).
That's just an issue of logging in.
With respect to connecting to the actual servers for monitoring / configuring / running deployments / etc. - I believe you have to go through the UI and set up Servers (if I recall, there's a place where it asks for Port number - which is the RMI port [9173 ?] not the deployment port [20014]).
Hopefully the OD Admin server and OD Base / TS server are on the same side of the firewall - otherwise it gets even more complicated because you have to make sure you have all the tunneling ports open (you might need to do this anyway - I'm not sure - but if you take a look at the deploy.cfg file you should see a list of entries in which one set uses one port number and the other set uses another port number -- try making sure those ports are open between the two servers).
Migrateduser
Ghoti - thanks for the reply.
I got this working about an hour ago. There is an odrcvrs.xml file that I had misconfigured. Once I entered a valid base server's information into that, I was able to sign into the UI and get it working.
Funny part of this all is that the 7.3 OD install doc says -not- to install TeamSite Admin and OD Admin on the machine and that the OD Admin package can be installed on any server with network connectivity to servers with OD bases and servers on them.
Turns out that, yes you can install OD Admin and TS Admin together and make it work - but Support doesn't really have info on how to get the (implied) recommended configuration I have to work, so will recommend that you install OD Admin and TS Admin and OD Base all together.
mart2001
Did you have to copy the passphrase file from the CSF directory into the OD and TS directories? Or does it just work out of the box now?
Migrateduser
I didn't do the install where they were all together but, from what I gathered during this process, I think that's still the case.