TS 7.3.1We have tens of thousands of old editions across multiple branches that I need to remove in order to free disk space. It would obviously be quickest to simply delete these on the server rather than running iwrmed multiple times via a script or by selecting them and deleting in TS, but I'm concerned that this may cause issues. Can anyone give me any advice?Thanks in advance.Paul
Smitty is correct
Another option would be to use iwmigrate and move to a different store. If you have that much history, then your backingstore is quite old and migrating it, while a long process, will be a good idea. In the end, nothing will be fast.
I am saving this forever. It's in writing. I am in utter shock.
I was also given the iwmigrate option from IW to archive old editions off the branch and make processing quicker - we have over 12000 editions and creating a new one takes a lot longer than if we only had 100 editions. Keep in mind that iwmigrate is a copy, though, not a move so you still have to clean up the editions on the source. That's what I was told anyway. We never followed through with that plan.
........ The second option would eliminate the need to delete a ton of old Editions.
Smitty - didn't you, in the past, have some sort of script that kept track of the number of editions on a given branch and if a publish (create edition) event occurred, it would delete the oldest [named] edition to try to keep the number of [named] editions at a "reasonable" level?
There's a legal requirement to retain 5 years worth of content, so at the moment we're stuck with 12,000+ editions.
You do have a third option, hire someone competent. Doubt that is going to happen.....
How does one become competent without asking questions?
Would the version of TeamSite we are running 5 years from now support content from much older version?
That comment was geared towards Smitty, no one else
If/when A/I changes the backingstore, it may require a migration, but TYPICALLY it will load up without requiring changes.
Right, if you had to migrate, you'd need to maintain a release of the old TeamSite in order to mount it ?