Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
"Loose" PTs : Templating Best Practices
System
The client is interested in defining an enterprise standard of classic TPLs or "loose" presentation templates (not really XML, no CDATA issues). I need to come up with a list of pros and cons for each approach. As much as I like XML I think it's a bad fit for presentation templates, especially when I have to embed small pieces of Perl all over the place. On the other hand I like being encouraged to output XHTML and I do like having some kind of offline validation before receiving the "unable to parse template" message.
How many people are going each way? What are the issues you are seeing?
Thanks in advance,
-John
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Brewy
We have been using non-XML presentation templates. I also like the idea of having everythign validated but it just seemed to be too much of a headache for not too much benefit.
gzevin
probably because I have been using TS since 4.2, I got used to the classic way, and do not find it any harder.. It disciplines you too
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU
Migrateduser
The original MRD for templating asked for strict XML.
Personally, I hate that, and so did some of the users
I talked to, so I developed the "loose" mode of parsing.
I never use strict mode myself.
I consider "loose" a much better fit for the task of templating.
All those annoying CDATA markers are gone-gone-gone
and your work becomes far more legible. To me, that's
what counts. Your mileage may vary.
- Jon
Amusing side note: you can stick TST tags in anything
and compile it with iwpt_compile.ipl... even a C++ program.
It makes a great party trick, depending on the party-goers.
gzevin
e.g., TST docs, that you compiled with TST compiler
You showed this to me once
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU
Migrateduser
Even in a Perl comment (try putting an <iw_value> in a Perl comment in an <iwperl> block) - not many languages even parse the comments!