Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Script to save workflow comments
gsheebu
Hi,
Is there a script available to save all the workflow tasks, comments etc., beacause everything is lost at the end when the job gets done.
Regards
Shiv
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Michael
If you want something pre-built then I believe Interwoven offers an additional piece of functionality which may be of interest. I believe it is called the Workflow Plus-Pack (or something like that). It does pretty much what you ask for in your post and gives you a pretty GUI to view it in.
Last time I heard about it they only offered it via Interwoven Professional Services, however that might have changed as it was a while ago. Perhaps someone else knows the current status on this? If not, check with your IWOV rep.
Alternatively you can build simple logging yourself in perl and call it as an external task just prior to your endTask in your workflow.
hth
Cheers
Michael
Migrateduser
Don't give Interwoven any more money for something that should ship with the base product. You can have your last workflow externaltask store the job XML retrieved from iwgetwfobj -r <jobID> (or parse it for the things you are interested in). This command can have a performance impact, at least on 4.5.x for Windows, if there are many jobs/tasks in the system. This can't handle the case where workflows get cancelled. You can't put a trigger on cancel job because by the time your trigger runs the job XML is already gone. You can add a wrapper to all externaltasks that writes the job XML. Consider writing it to a database if you want to run reports. There is a 3rd party tool, I think WorkflowReporter from TechAspect, you might want to consider if you want a more complete solution. I haven't worked with it though.
Migrateduser
I have a relatively simple perl script that does some of what John suggested - it parses the output of iwgetwfobj and saves the important info in a formatted text file and I archive these for 30 days. It runs as the last task in all of my workflows. If you want a copy of this script, shoot me an email and I'll send it to you. It's unix based but could easily be modified to work in windows - nothing fancy about it.
I agree with John wholeheartedly about the Plus Pak - archiving completed jobs is something people have been asking for for years, but Interwoven has not added this functionality to the base product. Instead they offer a custom solution they'd be happy to sell you for several thousands of dollars. I was hoping that this would be built into 6.0 but it is not.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
Migrateduser
If you are only interested in comments related to files that have been approved you can modify your workflows to use an externaltask to perform submit instead of a submittask. Then you have complete control over the submit comment - you can parse the job XML and put in comments that show who approved it, when and what comment they entered. That way all the comments are available in the file history. You can put the job ID in as well for if/when you start logging all the other job data to a database. There is a limit on the length of the submit comment, so you may have to submit the same file more than once if you want all the detail.
Johnny
Its interesting that it isnt there in 6.0, I was actually told it was going to be. That was a while ago though, so I guess it was left on the cutting room floor again.
John Cuiuli
Fariz
Hi Smitty,
Do you still have the perl script that you metioned below. I am trying to achieve the same and your script will be of very help.
Please send it to me if you have. Thanks much.
Thanks
Fariz
Michael
Does anyone know:
- Is this now included in 6.5?
- Does it now persist all the task comments?
- Or is that only if you buy the extra reporting functionality?
Cheers,
Michael
shanon
it's in the reporting package only.
Shanon Levenherz
Mercer eBusiness Team
shanon.levenherz@mercer.com
http://www.mercerhr.com
Fariz
Hi Smitty,
Thank you so much. The script was great. I am using it in v6.1, so I just did some changes.
It works fine in command line but it does not work in Workflow GUI.
Any suggestions?
Thanks much.
Fariz
gzevin
I actually got myself working with TeamSite+ and Workflow+. It was an extra offering from IWOV CSO...
basically, before the end task an external task would dump XML in a special admin branch.
then a a set of CGIs did reporting. (actually, there was some real time reporting as well).
I had a requirement to migrate this to 6.1 I actually succeeded in migrating just the reporting tool, even though the local CSO in Sydney has told me that this could not be done and is not supported. They push for some 'custom' reporting solutions.. or to get 6.5.
In my opinion, the existing reporting tool is very adequate for many users, it allows for archiving, and this isall what many people need.
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU
chunk
Hi.
I've written a Perl-based externaltask that you call just before the end of a workflow. It collects data from a slightly modified TeamSite::WFworkflow and TeamSite::WFtask and stores the data in a MySQL database. Yes, I know modifying the TeamSite modules is a Bad Thing, but it was written based on TeamSite 5.0.1, and it was the easist / quickest way to get it going.
A few features:
--it works with TeamSite 5.0.2, but you don't care about that.
--it works with TeamSite 6.5.0 (no SP)
--you can log your dev and production server to the same production database (workflow table uses hostname field)
--it works with MySQL 3.23.58 (MySQL 4.1 & 5.0 in the near future)
--it's pretty simple
I'm cleaning it up a little and will post a zip file with the database creation script, the workflow task xml, the modifications to the TeamSite modules, and the script itself.
Also, I have a very basic cgi to query the database and return results. Please note that there are no security checks in the query scripts--anyone with access to the script can query any workflow, branch, user in the db. A future version will have correct this. (It might or might not be important to you.)
I'll post the article link once it's up.
Cheers,
bill