Hi,
We are upgrading Teamsite 6.5 to 7.3.2 without LS. Our approach is a fresh install approach in new hardware we have done all the upgrade steps and most of the migration is done, only the custom menu items are not coming up. Below are the steps we have followed for the same:
1)
Updated the ui_custom.xml and application_custom.xml from \TeamSite\local\config\lib\content_center\customer_src\etc\conf\customer folder
2)
Ran Make Tool Kit :

/Interwoven/Teamsite/local/config/lib/content_center/customer_src>D:/Interwoven/Teamsite/iw-perl/bin/iwperl

/Interwoven/Teamsite/bin/make_toolkit.ipl
3)
Also done TeamSite ui and a reset
CChecked the Applicationcontainer path -ui_custom.xml and application_custom.xml files are placed their.
4)
Clear browser cache and checked in Firefox and IE-8
Please let me know if I am missing something or doing something wrong to get these custom menu items in new environment.
I have checked the guides for 7.3.2 but it is telling me about the way of Spring and Java i.e. customer.xml but I dont want to do it as Customer's admin team do not want any thing different then previous versions. Can we still do this customization using custom_ui.xml or this option is now not available with newer versions?