Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
How efficient you can design DCT for Financial Results
anilgkumar
Guys, recently I juggled with one requirement. Even though I made it, I feel It can be easily designed by people smarter than me. So I need your inputs for the following requirement.
Requirement:
Please observe the attached screenshot., which explains the requirement.
For one year..
I need help in designing DCT, want to make it generic. I mean it may has sometimes 3 Quarters or 2 Quarters... and can has 4 or more Verticals. I designed a container represents Quarter and taking inputs/assets for each Vertical. Here Vertical is also a container and will repeat for as many times of no.of Verticals that business user wants. And finally repeating the procedure for all Quarters. Coming to inputs/assets for each Quarter and Vertical... I'm using another container which takes pdf, webcast, and few assets paths...
Problem:
Problem raised when I want to make it generic... Because for another year the no. of verticals and their labels can be different.
I want to ask business user before filling his/her company assets, about how many Quarters and Verticals are there for Financial Year and want to capture their labels.. after that I can proceed with Idea explained in requirement.
Can any help me to rid out of this?
Let me know if you need further understanding.
Thanks, Anil
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
interDev
Add another field at the top level called 'Year' (It can be a dropdown or open field). So Instead of capturing Labels for Quarters, capture them for Quarters for specific year. The whole section at Year level should be repeatable.
one more thing you can do to make user's life easier. On adding a new year in DCT (by clicking + button), prepopulate the fields with labels from last year (Using FORMAPI) so that users will not have to do anything if same labels will be reused next year.
flip side is: you will have too many containers which might make it confusing for users to read information in DCR.
Adam Stoller
You're basically dealing with nested replicants - which, although sensible from a programming standpoint, tends to be less-than straight forward from a user's perspective - so you have to follow it up with good documentation / help files / training to try to make it easier for the users - or you have to use a callout to bring up a custom UI that, on submission, properly creates all the necessary replicants and populates the data (a lot more work on the programming side to make it [hopefully] more intuitive on the user-side.
Bowker
Another less obvious choice is to create multiple DCRs one for each Row. Use Metadata to tag the content and use LSCS (Or some other method) to pick up the proper pieces of content.
This has some advantages and some disadvantages.