Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Take task Single click CCI BUG
Johnny
Hi
I need to confirm if what im seeing is indeed a bug, or if im doing something wrong.
I am currently working on an implementation with clickable CCI urls in notification emails.
Im having a problem with the taketask url.
It does actually take the task, but it presents a blank screen to the user.
Taking a look at the source of this page, shows there is some javascript trying to go back to
the webdesk window, only it doesnt seem to work. Whats more if you are coming from an email
there usually isnt any other window anyway.
It really looks like a bug to me. It would be great if I could hear from you guys
we are using TS 5.5.2.0 9036 20020608 (SP2) , solaris
John
Sydney, Australia
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Migrateduser
Not that it will help in your situation, but I have implemented a method to add buttons to emails that go beyond using the CCI URLs. When a user gets an email indicating they have been assigned a task in the workflow, the email contains buttons representing every successor possible in the task they were assigned. Clicking a button initiates an email to a special account (this is on Solaris) and any email sent to this account immediately kicks off a script that handles the appropriate successor for the button they pushed. Any pertinent information needed for the script is passed in the subject line of the email. In the case of a grouptask, the script performs the iwtaketask CLT prior to activating the successor. This is all done under the covers. Just a different approach, but it works.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
Johnny
Hi Dave,
I remember reading about this i think in one of the forums.
Sounds very interesting and useful, also sounds quite involved aswell
.
To get around this i did write a wrapper script that calls the CCI url in another window and redirects to the task window once loaded. The problem is if the user hasnt logged in yet, you will get the original problem again....
Im hoping one of you guys have seen this. Come on you Interwoven Consultants.... am I the bug??
Cheers
John
Sydney, Australia
Migrateduser
Therein lies the problem. In order to use the CCI URLs you have to be logged into TeamSite, which in my opinion is a shortcoming. I was always hoping the CCI URLs would be available to people outside of the TeamSite server. No such luck. That's why I coded my own solution. In my solution, anyone can act on a workflow task - even people outside the company. I don't think you're going to get around the "have to be logged into TeamSite issue" for CCI. Will be interesting to see what they say, though.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
Johnny
You make quite strong points there Dave. Security always seems to be the blind issue I think.
I dont suppose you have posted your hard work here?
It may be time to scrap these CCI's for something like your idea.
Cheers
John
Sydney, Australia
Migrateduser
Embedded in your email (I used a customized version of the TemplateBased Email tpl files), this is embedded in the body (unfortunately I do not know how to add indentations in these posts):
<td></td>
<td><font face="Verdana" size="2" color="#333333">
<FORM>
<iw_value name="$vote"/>
</FORM></td>
</tr>
where $vote is set up like this:
my
@obj
= `/interwoven/iw-home/bin/iwgetwfobj $id`;
foreach (
@obj)
{
next unless (/<successorset/);
/<successorset\s*description="([^"]*)"/;
push
@succ
,$1;
print DEBUG "found: $1\n";
$vote .= "<INPUT TYPE=\"button\" VALUE=\"$1\" onClick=\"parent.location='mailto:foo\
@nike
.com?subject=$1:$taskid:$wfid:$owner&body=This task has been approved.'\">\n";
}
Then whenever
foo@nike.com
receives an email, it executes the script that is attached. I removed the email subroutine from the script to protect the innocent. You can insert your own. Keep in mind, this works on Solaris - I have no clue if equivalent finctionality can be performed on NT.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
Johnny
Appreciate that Dave... Thanks!
Ill have a dabble with and see if i can throw away these troublesome CCI's!!!
Dont worry... Ive never had an interest to work on a NT machine!!
Cheers
John
Sydney, Australia
Johnny
Hi Guys,
Just to let you know, Interwoven have acknowledged that there is a bug with the taketask URL CCI.
There are plans for the fix to be released with SP3, although this has not been confirmed
Cheers
John
Sydney, Australia
Migrateduser
I don't know if there is such a bug. The only bug that I can find regarding the CCI taketask on 5.5.2 concerns untaking a task.
Brinko Kobrin
Interwoven Staff Engineer
Johnny
Well your guys in asia pacific support have raised it... or atleast I have been told it has been raised.
John
Sydney, Australia
perl_filter.txt
Migrateduser
If you could please send me the name of the person with whom you spoke or the number of the bug, I would be happy to further investigate the status and details.
My concern is that a second-hand report on DevNet that "there is a bug" may discourage other developers from exploring functionality that may solve their problems. Without any specifics, it would be difficult to determine if the problem applies to them (version, OS, environment, etc.) or if a fix or workaround is available.
Brinko Kobrin
Interwoven Staff Engineer
Johnny
Thats all fine, you make a valid point.
Although, all the information is available if you read this thread, I wouldnt make a blind statement, just informing people incase they have experienced the same thing... i thought that this was the whole point of devnet
bug # 36609
Ill let you know who the support contact is.
Cheers
John
Sydney, Australia
Migrateduser
I apologize. I thought that you were referring to *another* bug; something beside the fact that the blank window remains after the command has been executed.
As often happens, the messages within this thread dealt with more than one topic. I did not associate the bug with your original posting. Mea culpa.
Brinko Kobrin
Interwoven Staff Engineer
Johnny
No problem at all mate!
Cheers
John
Sydney, Australia
gzevin
>Therein lies the problem. In order to use the CCI URLs you >have to be logged into TeamSite, which in my opinion is a >shortcoming. I was always hoping the CCI URLs would be >available to people outside of the TeamSite server. No such >luck. That's why I coded my own solution. In >my .solution, .anyone can act on a workflow task - even >people outside the company. I don't think you're going to get >around the "have to be logged into TeamSite issue" for CCI. >Will be interesting to see what they say, though.
Well, if you see HOW IWOV sales people are selling these CCI features, you would understand our frustration.
As a matter of fact, I am the architect on Johny's project and it was me recommending the solution, that was looking Ok in the beginning....
I have a couple of more local clients, that have heard from the IWOV sales people all these tales how seamlesly the approvers could approve task from e-mails.. just in one click, never having to login into teamsite.
Now - even if there were no bugs in CCI, one would have to configure the cookie to never expire, to make this scenario possible, and this is a great security risk, IMHO.
When I was with Interwoven, I did voice my opinion that using cookies is unsafe and is a kind of a hack... But they are still going in that direction.....
Greg Zevin
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU
Migrateduser
We were promised the "one-click solution from emails without having to log into TeamSite" as well. We bragged about this to our more difficult customers and they were anxiously expecting it. Then when 5.5.2 came out, we found out how CCI really works. What a disappointment. I'm at least somewhat relieved that we were not the only ones deceived, but that doesn't really help a whole lot.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
gzevin
the only ones deceived?
This is how it's all being sold - sales engineers ring the clients and say - did you know that we have a new version that does 'this and that and even makes your cup of coffee, flies to the moon, and even does visual annotations and visual templating building'?
And I have to meet the clients and give them some sort of a cold shower to lower their expectations..
When I was with IWOV, this was considered as treason by some of the managers, now I am kinda free to say what I think
)
I say - TeamSite is a smart product, with an interesting content contribution model'.. but be ready to spend money on customisations and fighting bugs
Greg Zevin
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU
Lex
This bug is indeed on the list of bug fixes for SP3, however we still have the blank window even after applying SP3. Has anyone else who experienced this bug applied SP3 and had it fixed? We promised some people this would be fixed with SP3 (since it was on the list of fixed bugs) and now it looks like we'll have to go back and tell them it's not.
Johnny
Im not sure what it says in SP3 about this issue.
We received a point release and the solution was this...
http://servername/iw/webdesk/taketask?taskid=xxxx&done_page=CLOSE
note the last param done_page=CLOSE
Its pretty much usless, I found it an insult that this was the bug fix... all it does is close the window!... Great user interaction hey!
Its so obvious that these CCI's were never intended to be released to the public, rather for internal use.
When a user clicks on that link, wouldnt it be obvious for them to be directed to the task list window with that task assigned to them??
Closing the window was their answer, and they said it was the intended functionality.
I was really baffled when they came back to me with that!!!
John Cuiuli
Consultant
Sydney, Australia
Migrateduser
I haven't made sure this would work but maybe you don't need an explicit take task link in the email that brings up a dumb window. Maybe you just need a "transition" that uses this link, but instead of close sets done_page to the page that transitions the task.
Also see
http://devnet.interwoven.com/forums/cgi-bin/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=DOWNLOADS_WORKFLOWS&Number=11295&Search=true&Forum=All_Forums&Words=replace%20CCI&Match=And&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=11277
Johnny
That was all the info that IWOV gave me...
done_page=CLOSE
I never actually tried to see what other options I could hang off the end of done_page.
Either way... It would have meant a hack, when I was expecting IWOV to provide a practical solution for us. It was a real disapointment.
There is no task transition at that point... it is the take task... taking ownership of an existing group task.
John Cuiuli
Consultant
Sydney, Australia
Lex
Well, that additional parameter does indeed close the window. Unfortunately it has another side effect. If someone else in the group task attempts to take ownership when the task is already owned, they no longer get the message that they can't take ownership *and* a blank HTML window stays open. This is incredible.
Johnny
Hah!
We never got to that point.
We pulled the plug on it straight away!!
John Cuiuli
Consultant
Sydney, Australia
Johnny
It clearly shows that CCI's were internal to webdesk.
And someone thought it would be a great idea to hand it out.
Which is right... they are a great idea...
They need to be built to work practically though....
It was a really bitter experience for me... im sure its obvious.
John Cuiuli
Consultant
Sydney, Australia
rollo
I tend to agree that they seem a little 'half-baked' (I could really use the 'Take Task' one myself if it worked properly) but I still think they're a very good tool for streamlining workflows and making them more usable in the real world. Given that, has there been any official word on whether CCIs will be fixed/further developed/functionality increased/etc?