Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
lame OpenAPI error messages
System
Maybe this has been posted before, but when I test a new workflow using OpenAPI it gives me useless error messages such as:
class com.interwoven.api.utility.IWInternalError:
OpenAPI method "IWWorkFlow::createFromXMLString" failed due to Sciface call "TWFClient::CreateWorkFlow": Sciface error #1 (Failure in operation)
I can't imagine how this could be useful. It can really be a hassle to generate the XML to a file and get on the server (not allowed in some environments) to run iwjobc which gives a more useful error message:
ERROR: Duplicate successorset name Deploy
ERROR: Missing successors for group task DocumentControllerReview
ERROR:00001: Failure in operation
Why can't OpenAPI give me a more useful error message?
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Migrateduser
John,
The errors you see from iwjobc are actually print statements to stderr. OpenAPI is currently not capable of capturing standard error.
You could workaround the problem by verifying the XML documents that you use for workflow creation, by testing it out using iwjobc CLT.
Best Regards,
Narendra
Migrateduser
This does not constitute a workable solution for us. We are submitting our workflows dynamically, i.e: we are feeding a fully-formed XML workflow to the TeamSite engine at runtime.
Whenever there is a problem with the workflow, we are receiving a similar useless error message. Since our workflows are not stored on or registered with TeamSite, the CLT is useless.
Any more suggestions?
Migrateduser
Instead of calling the OpenAPI method to create the job you could write the job XML to a file and call the iwjobc command line tool directly, which would give the full error message. I generally use the command line tools instead of OpenAPI because they run in the context of the environment they execute in, whereas for OpenAPI I have to specify a session ID or username and password. Since I create jobs with a JSP there is a session ID and I was hoping to avoid the XML job specification temp file, but then again sometimes I like to have it for logging anyway. If you call the CLT from a JSP the user running the JSP process needs to be a TeamSite master (to call iwjobc). They say this is for security reasons but I don't see how it could be - if a hacker can get onto the machine to run the Interwoven commands security has already been comprimised.
Migrateduser
Why is OpenAPI so incapable? When will this bug be fixed? Please add me to the list of recipients for the bugfix notification.
Migrateduser
Just for the record, OpenAPI is not incapable, the Workflow interface below it does not pass the error string.
Regards,
lissa
Migrateduser
So "OpenAPI is currently not capable of capturing standard error" is not accurate? I don't get it. Is OpenAPI calling iwjobc or using some other interface? What is that interface written in?
Thanks,
-John
TestProject_20120206142931.afp
Migrateduser
John,
The interface that OpenAPI uses to talk to the server writes the errors to stderr. OpenAPI as it stands (the latest version) does not capture this. If you need this feature, I suggest that you raise this as a support issue, for the next service pack.
Best Regards,
Narendra