Hi
Could you please advise it is possible to import the source code comparison results from a file versions in a excel sheet without losing the highlighted red colour differences of the file?
regards
Charu Sachdeva
probably not - at least not using TeamSite's diff-tool. You might be able to do it using something like Beyond Compare, though putting it into an Excel spreadsheet seems dubious / questionable.
Ok. Thanks for the reply.
But I need details in spread sheet only. I will try what can be done or alternate to this
Charu
Can you explain why? It doesn't really make any sense to be putting source code in a spreadsheet* format.
Sorry for delay in reply. I was in training so couldn’t able to reply.
Basically, my client have 2 different vendors, one handles the production website using production TeamSite and other (my company) handles all the pre-production websites using pre-production TeamSite.
The production and pre-production TeamSite have exactly same files, branches, structure and content but managed using different TeamSite servers, users and companies.I recently joined this company so don’t know much working details yet.
Now, the changes (frontend/backend/java) go in every 3 months planned release cycle and multiple releases are being worked upon in parallel.
The development team of our company make the changes and test on development, UAT and Prelive environment and provide all the details of the changes done in TeamSite properties file on pre-production TeamSIte to other vendor (company) to update the files on production TeamSite and promote to Live.
As it is 3 months release cycle and multiple releases are being worked upon in parallel so for development team it is too much work to update TeamSite files and also maintain a spread sheet with all the changes.
It prone to mistakes as well...sometimes the development team doesn’t remember what changes were done 3 months ago or they forgotten to update the spreadsheet.
That’s the reason we want the view source of TeamSite files to be copied in a spreadsheet.As it was not getting possible to copy voew source of TeamSite files in a spreadsheet using TeamSite provided features or CLTS so we wrote a perl script to achieve that.
The perl script works as follows:
For example we have two files attached in a workflow 'old.properties' and 'new.properties'
1) Read all the files having .properties extension from a workflow and store in a array.
2) Copy .properties files from array to a new workarea called "CompareFileDifference". In this case it will copy old.properties and new.properties in "CompareFileDifference" workarea
3) Now rename old.properties and new.properties to old_new.properties and new_new.properties i.e. append “_new” to all the properties files in that workarea ‘CompareFileDifference’.
4) Now search for the same files old.properties and new.properties in the STAGING path corresponding to the files attached in the workflow
5) If the same files exist in STAGING, then copy staging version of the files i.e. old.properties and new.properties into that same workarea "CompareFileDifference"
6) Now "CompareFileDifference" workarea has a two version of files i.e. a STAGING version (old.properties and new.properties) and workarea version (where the developer made the changes and attached in the workflow and we rename it to old_new.properties and new_new.properties) to compare the files
7) The script will compare the difference in the files and create a .cvs file listing all the differencesThe script executes 100% fine when I executed on the server directly but as soon as I attached the script in workflow and executing via workflow it is getting stuck at point number 3 which is rename old.properties and new.properties to old_new.properties and new_new.properties i.e. append “_new” to all the properties files in that workarea ‘CompareFileDifference’.
The logger in the script shows that the file has been renamed but in the workarea it is not showing the renamed files.
I have attached the script which I used for executing on server and which I used for executing via workflow
Could you please have a look and advise why the script is not executing via workflow.
Do we have some limitation in renaming the file in a workarea via teamsite workflows?
Please advice
RegardsCharu Sachdeva
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revision_control
Why the script doesn't work when called from with the workflow I have no idea, and I'm not going to spend a bunch of my time - for free - trying to diagnose badly written code outside of the environment in which it is being run (including the fact that the code relies on custom modules that I don't have).
If you want to hire me (or someone else who's skilled in these matters) to come in and attempt to fix the problem - fine - but I think this is a much bigger issue than can be resolved in the forums.
Please ignore, i have resolved the issue myself
Thanks for your time and suggestions.