Just in case OP doesn't find a satisfactory answer within the linked thread, I'm performing a semi-hijack.Is there a "best practices" solution you gurus have found for this? I mean from a resources standpoint as well as user-experience. The ways that I've approached this are to use an inline command (which is a bit brittle and makes things less readable if you use Java because the inline command typically looks nasty with a full classpath) or a callout/callserver.I tend to prefer a callserver, simply because there are quite a few utility "responses" commonly needed for DCTs which can sit in a centralized web service usable from multiple TeamSite installs.Thoughts? OP, if you want some specific help with either of the methods I mentioned above, I would be more than happy to help.
I think the Javascript method described in post #6 of the previously referenced thread, is probably the easiest, "cheapest" solution - and one you could easily package into it's own JS library so that you can re-use the code in multiple DCTs.
Seconded. If you don't need the server-side horsepower, I can't see any reason why you'd use inline commands here. Your Javascript lib can be just as reusable as your script/java would be, but you offload the work to the client side so your server (and DCT rendering) performance is better under heavy load.