The existing DCRs must have the default value already saved for that item, so it will show up unless you are clearing them on init. Hope I understood your problem correctly.
change in the DCT [...] does not work for the default tag...That is weird
Oh, please. DCT is a template, DCRs are Documents populated with that template.When you modify MS Office "my Projects" Template you do not expect that existing Project Documentsgenerated with the old template will automatically get modified by some magic, do you?It's the same here. Your former default value within saved DCRs is now treated as customer providedvalue that overrides any default.
Thanks Boris. I think your point maybe valid in some scenarios but I would not really compare MS office with a CMS to validate this. The point of contention here is that when the DCR (containing the old default value) is already versioned, why doesn't it get updated on modifying the DCT when I open and save it again. I know that I wouldn't actually want to revert all those DCRs again manually, but it's just that this behavior is different from what I had expected since now I'll have to include a FormAPI function to clear the values on init and it is nowhere mentioned in the manuals.
What you observe is, in my personal opinion, correct behavior. Consider simple scenario with no DCT changes. Let's say we have a DCT with the "Owner" Field, default value is "Boris". You use it to create a DCR and enter owner as "Samir". If you (or anybody else) open up a DCR two days later, it should render Owner's value as "Samir", despite the fact that default is still "Boris"..........On more generic note, TS never changes saved DCRs values on behalf of DCT changes. This is true even if such changes would have been "easy" to perform (like comparing existing DCRs for modified default and updatingonly ones where old default is present). ................
I think I agree to the example you've provided with just one correction to the bold part in your note: TS never changes saved DCRs values on behalf of DCT changes until those DCRs are edited and saved again..Also, though this maybe an "expected" behavior but in scenarios where you have a lot of DCRs with original default values that now needs to be changed, editing all these DCRs manually is a nightmare unless you're smart enough to download all DCRs and modify the values at the back-end.Thanks.