Hi ,
Anyone using OCR on images capability in Mediabin 8.0.3 or 8.1 in order to index text in images or pdf's ?
Thanks for sharing.
Kind regards,
Koen
Hi Koen,
The text in PDFs and MS-Office documents will be extracted and indexed into IDOL during the file upload process. A metadata field "IDOL Summery" will be updated with the content of these two file formats.
For image formats, this can be achieved with a custom workflow using ImageServer with OCR plugin. During the file upload process, send the file to ImageServer, update a custom metadata field with the the response from ImageServer of that particular image. Index this custom metadata filed in IDOL by specifiying this metadata GUID in IDOL's configuration field under SetIndexFields section.
Thanks,
Cheers Ravi
I thought Mediabin was able to do this out of the box without any thirdparty tool. (Unless Imageserver and ocr plugin comes with the the default product and we forgot to install it). But then again ,mediabin is nothing but a collection of thirdparty tools
I was looking for other users that were actually using ocr on images for mediabin.
Did you already saw this in a setup of some customer ?
Hi Ravi,
I've just been checking the docs on workflows and tasks ,but in the available primitives and encoders I don't see any usable stuff that would serve the purpose for creating a custom workflow for OCR handling with Imageserver.
I'd like to see some examples what the capabilities of this setup are.
Recently there was on prospective in Singapore requested for this and HP Professional Services did this customization for them.
Thank you,
You can integrate with OCR image processing prodcuts using custom workflows. The OCR on images OOTB is part of the MediaBin roadmap for a future release.
And the custom workflows can be created in APA, right ?
And APA comes as part of MediaBin 8.1, right ? Also, I believe APA is part of MB 8.1 bundle and dont need a separate license.
We are still on MB 8.0.3 and dont have LiquidOffice license.
Yes using APA, you can write custom workflows to do things like OCR (with HP Image Server for instance.
Hi,
I have developed a full extension for MediaBin and Image Server.
You can process the anlaysis at the upload or during a download.
You can extract OCR, BarCode, Face detect, recognition, object detection and recognition, color analysis.
Then you can save the results as metadata.
You have no needs to create the metadata prior to save them. They are automatically creted.
If you want more details, you can contact me.