How to render HTML-tables to pdf

Options
WFG
WFG
edited February 11, 2022 in Analytics #1
Hi there.
I'm trying to render a text-field (content-type HTML) with a table ("<table><tr><td>column1</td>...") to a pdf-output.
No matter what I try, nothing seems to work.
It seems, that a <td>-tag gives rise to start new columns in the resulting pdf, but they can't be formatted!
Everything works fine (table-border, column-alignment) as long, as I render to HTML...
I found lots of bugzilla-entries about this issue, all marked checked in (from 2005 up to may, 2007).
Any idea?
many thanks.

Comments

• JasonW
    edited December 31, 1969 #2
    Options
    Can you post an example table you want to render? Also what version of BIRT are you using?

Jason
  • WFG
    WFG
    edited December 31, 1969 #3
    Options
    <blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="JasonW"><p>Can you post an example table you want to render? Also what version of BIRT are you using?<br />
    <br />
    Jason</p></blockquote>
    <br />
    Jason.<br />
    Many thanks first. The sample-table is quite simple. It's anything like:<br />
    <br />
    <table width="100%"> -- the width-attribute will be ignored!<br />
    <tr><br />
    <td><br />
    Column1<br />
    </td><br />
    </tr><br />
    <tr><br />
    <td align="right"> -- the allign-attribute wil also be ignored<br />
    1234.56<br />
    </td><br />
    </tr><br />
    </table><br />
    <br />
    I place this in a Text-Field (content-type: HTML [of course]) and render it with BIRT 2.1.1. Engine to pdf without effect (or to an HTML-output and everything's fine).<br />
    Also, if I open such a design with 2.2.2. deseigner, the preview in HTML is fine while the pdf-preview doesn't take any effect. Even if I leave the <table>- and the <tr>-tags, the pdf-render-engine will take the <td> - tags and build some columns - but still not interested in the attributes...<br />
    <br />
    Does this help (to help me :o) )?<br />
    Many thanks again<br />
    Wil
  • jimp
    edited December 31, 1969 #4
    Options
    I am sorry to post this unrelated issue because I can not find any link to allow me to post a new topic. Please help me.
  • JasonW
    edited December 31, 1969 #5
    Options
    Jimp,

Select the Forum Tools Dropdown.

Jason
  • JasonW
    edited December 31, 1969 #6
    Options
    Wil,

I understand now. The table displays but the formatting is not applied. Can you log a bugzilla entry for this?

Jason
  • WFG
    WFG
    edited December 31, 1969 #7
    Options
    <blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="JasonW"><p>Wil,<br />
    <br />
    I understand now. The table displays but the formatting is not applied. Can you log a bugzilla entry for this?<br />
    <br />
    Jason</p></blockquote>
    <br />
    Thanks Jason.<br />
    That's what I'll do.<br />
    Beside this, I'm trying to run the whole Birt-Project to see, if there is an easy way to adjust columns in the pdf emitter (found a good candidate in PDFPage.java) but I can't run the pdf emitter.<br />
    I did it the easy way: I checked out the sources via CVS. Then, when the the whole project was built (had to resolve a few errors) I added another simple project to the workspace that runs the platform/engine. I can startup everthing, I can compile the .rptdocument file but the pdf-emitter won't run. Got a log like this (sorry for the german messages):<br />
    <br />
    09.05.2008 09:59:49 org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.api.impl.EngineTask createContentEmitter<br />
    SCHWERWIEGEND: Report engine can not create pdf emitter.<br />
    09.05.2008 09:59:49 org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.api.impl.RenderTask render<br />
    SCHWERWIEGEND: An error happened while running the report. Cause:<br />
    org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.api.EngineException: Report engine fails to initialize pdf emitter, please make sure required libraries for this emitter are installed.<br />
    at org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.api.impl.EngineTask.createContentEmitter(EngineTask.java:1034)<br />
    at org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.api.impl.RenderTask$PageRangeRender.render(RenderTask.java:466)<br />
    at org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.api.impl.RenderTask.render(RenderTask.java:254)<br />
    at PrintJob.PrintPDF(PrintJob.java:370)<br />
    at PrintJob.run(PrintJob.java:98)<br />
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)<br />
    09:59:49 org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.api.EngineException: Report engine fails to initialize pdf emitter, please make sure required libraries for this emitter are installed.<br />
    <br />
    While debugging the session, I ran through the PDFEmitter's Constructor. But actually, I really don't know, what happens there.<br />
    <br />
    Can you give some newby-advice? The idea is to fix the table/alignment.problem locally until it's fixed in the next BIRT-Release.<br />
    <br />
    Many thanks again<br />
    Wil
  • JasonW
    edited December 31, 1969 #8
    Options
    Wil,

Did the org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.emitter.pdf project build without any errors?

The class you should probably look at is the HTML2Content class. I did some more testing and got yours table to work with using inline styles. These seem to get picked up by the style processor. Try this.

<table style="width: 100%">
    <tr>
    <td>
    Column1
    </td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td style="text-align: right">
    </td>
    </tr>
    </table>

Jason
  • WFG
    WFG
    edited December 31, 1969 #9
    Options
    <blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="JasonW"><p>Wil,<br />
    <br />
    Did the org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.emitter.pdf project build without any errors?<br />
    <br />
    The class you should probably look at is the HTML2Content class. I did some more testing and got yours table to work with using inline styles. These seem to get picked up by the style processor. Try this.<br />
    <br />
    <table style="width: 100%"> <br />
    <tr><br />
    <td><br />
    Column1<br />
    </td><br />
    </tr><br />
    <tr><br />
    <td style="text-align: right"> <br />
    1234.56<br />
    </td><br />
    </tr><br />
    </table><br />
    <br />
    Jason</p></blockquote>
    <br />
    THAT'S IT!!!<br />
    Using css (or inline style) is exactly what I forgot!<br />
    So, it's not needed to compile (and "fix") BIRT. I simply have to change the "table-generation-process" (it's programmed).<br />
    many many thanks again.